fuel injectors

Jim:

Why not stay w/stock brand and have yours rebuilt? As long as they all pass basic inspection, you'll spend less and have OE fit/performance.

I use witchhunters in Wash.

Ken

I don't know what all rebuilding includes, but having a running problem with mine recently, I just bought the $12 kit ,with the filters and tip covers, and installed it myself, with a few tips from Youtube. I had one that was spraying fuel constantly, which I replaced with one from TBSCShop.com's ebay site.

On that saga, It was a real head scratcher.. I had a bad miss even after replacing my bad injector; no codes of course, so I capped of every possible vacuum port, swapped out the DIS, swapped out the MAF, front harness, coil pack (which I knew there was nothing wrong with, but I had to confirm it), new spark plugs, and each plug wire swapped out and tested.. No fix.

Finally, just to complete the check list, I swapped out the EEC.. car fired up and ran perfectly.. :eek: I've never had an EEC go bad on me.

what all rebuilding includes

Injectors get tired and dirty over time and can fall out of spec/fail. Typical rebuilding starts w/removal of the o-rings, caps and filter baskets and an external bath and visual inspection, then a pressure test to check for external leaks. Once they are deemed basic ok, they are given a flow test so as to be able to compare before/after cleaning. Then they are flushed with a cleaning solution while under pressure with the pintles energized, etc. This process is repeated as needed to confirm they are all healthy and near/at similar flow. Any that resist cleaning and are outside flow specs and/or demonstrate erratic spray patterns are rejected. After cleaning and testing, fresh baskets, pintle caps & o-rings are installed and a report is generated for the customer.

When I did the heads on my '90 last year, I had already collected a spare set of 6 injectors out of donor and sent them in so they would be ready when I did the job, but only 5 of those were deemed serviceable...one had external leaks, so I sourced another 3 and sent them off. The first one checked was ok so it was cleaned and all 3 sent back to me giving me a full set of 6 to work with. I'm sitting on the old 6 that came off the car and 2 spares now, all unknown condition (one has a misaligned spindle) until I decide if I need more later, at which time I'll send them out to be checked/cleaned etc.

I would have loved to duty cycle test the old injectors on the car before/after servicing, but that will have to wait for a better DVOM.

I think by the time I was done, including buying used spares and sending two batches out for service was $180. Would have been as little as $120, I think, if I'd just sent out the ones off the car and they were all ok to rebuild. Motorcraft from Summit are $53 ea., I think, and that is a good price. Not sure if they require cores.

After dealing w/one plugged cat, bad pass side head gasket (both heads resurfaced, new gaskets, bolts, etc.), and I believe original injectors, in addition to correcting a basket of nagging issues I went from 12 mpg to 25... A year out & 110k miles and those repairs are still holding.

I'd consider any set of injectors with, say +/-100k miles, can benefit from rebuilding or replacement. As they say, your mileage may vary ;)

Last edited:
I don't know what all rebuilding includes, but having a running problem with mine recently, I just bought the $12 kit ,with the filters and tip covers, and installed it myself, with a few tips from Youtube. I had one that was spraying fuel constantly, which I replaced with one from TBSCShop.com's ebay site.

On that saga, It was a real head scratcher.. I had a bad miss even after replacing my bad injector; no codes of course, so I capped of every possible vacuum port, swapped out the DIS, swapped out the MAF, front harness, coil pack (which I knew there was nothing wrong with, but I had to confirm it), new spark plugs, and each plug wire swapped out and tested.. No fix.

Finally, just to complete the check list, I swapped out the EEC.. car fired up and ran perfectly.. :eek: I've never had an EEC go bad on me.

A-yep. They r apparently at that age. I'd never seen a failure either...

Then had 2 fail last year. '87 mass air converted stang, what u describe high resistance ground holding #4 inj open. '94 F250 wouldn't even start, sent all kinda goofy codes, most not even for truck, ie car only codes!

An just FYI, TRY to find a functional A9L mustang eec. people want stupid money for used, and I got 2MORE bad b4 a functional unit, and the reman places r full of chit... Yeah we got em,,, oh,,, wait, no we don't... With hit or miss quality to boot

Adam

Last edited:
Back