90 Cougar XR7 Original Owner (no longer) for Sale

01GTCOUPE

We were selling my wife's 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7 until recently. Leaving this thread up and remaining in contact just in case someone with a serious desire wishes to discuss this particular vehicle. After major reconditioning, the car is now off the market - for the most part. She ordered it new and drove it regularly until last year. It no longer runs well and does not always start. The A/C also no longer works. Everything else is pretty good. Nice interior is barely worn. Exterior is also in very good condition considering it's almost 30 years old. Supercharged with only one mod, a slightly smaller pulley on the blower. Never blown anything. No accidents. Still shines up and always garaged. Odometer does not turn. It stopped around 99,000 miles about 3 years ago. Good glass, good lighting, good tires. Inspection no longer current. Pictures are older but the one in the garage is more recent. Red exterior with grey interior cloth. Automatic trans. All reasonable offers considered. It could run again nicely or would be a fantastic donor for 95% of the parts you'd want. $2500? Hit me with an offer and thanks for checking out this fine old original SC'd '90 Mercury Cougar XR7.

Attachments

• 20180216_184551.jpg
    20180216_184551.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 511
  • '90 Cougar XR7, C.jpg
    '90 Cougar XR7, C.jpg
    877.3 KB · Views: 546
  • '90 Cougar XR7, B.jpg
    '90 Cougar XR7, B.jpg
    708.9 KB · Views: 523
  • '90 Cougar XR7, D.jpg
    '90 Cougar XR7, D.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Nice interior is barely worn.

You mentioned the PA summer sun/heat melting a door handle back in 2002. Is that where the car is now? No cracks in dash? Back seat top edges not cracked? Looks nice, tho...it would be a shame to be parted out, I think. GLWS.

Ken

Yes, you are correct that it's still in PA near the turnpike exit 286 in Lancaster County. That door handle was affected by heat. Thank you for reminding me. This is my first post to SCCoA in a long time and I had to change my email, so my replies should improve shortly.

I'll look at the dash again and check for cracks. I don't recall any. Back of seats I thought were always good. I'll get some more pictures and clarify soon. Thanks for your interest.

It looks like I am late Dave saw it. :eek: If it is not rusted it will be a sweet ride.

01GTCOUPE most XR7's have cloth interiors.

owner

We are parting with my wife's 1990 Mercury Cougar XR7. She ordered it new and drove it regularly until last year. It no longer runs well and does not always start. The A/C also no longer works. Everything else is pretty good. Nice interior is barely worn. Exterior is also in very good condition considering it's almost 30 years old. Supercharged with only one mod, a slightly smaller pulley on the blower. Never blown anything. No accidents. Still shines up and always garaged. Odometer does not turn. It stopped around 99,000 miles about 3 years ago. Good glass, good lighting, good tires. Inspection no longer current. Pictures are older but the one in the garage is more recent. Red exterior with grey interior cloth. Automatic trans. All reasonable offers considered. It could run again nicely or would be a fantastic donor for 95% of the parts you'd want. $2500? Hit me with an offer and thanks for checking out this fine old original SC'd '90 Mercury Cougar XR7.

send more current pictures of interior and such please, 5spd or auto?

Well, my son was home on active recruiting duty and spent a few days reconditioning the engine. He replaced the entire ignition system and the main blower seals. Plugs were a hassle, but they're all new now and what a difference! The rotor seals weren't worn and everything's back up and running. Getting about 14lbs boost again. It starts and runs well. It's getting a detail and some other general maintenance, including shocks, a battery and probably new tires soon, so I guess the price just went up. Offers still considered, but this one's XR7 is looking better and better every day.

Thanks again for the interest.

At the moment this XR7 is no longer for sale. Thank you for your interest.

After a significant overhaul and investment, this XR7 will be off the market. It's running well and passes inspection. Glad we're back in the loop! :)

Our XR7 is once again for sale. $1200 obo. Needs an ignition key cylinder now and I can't start it. Overall an excellent car to restart and drive or the best parts car you've ever found. Thanks for you interest.

If the key still "turns" doesn't matter if it starts its amazingly simple to replace it you can have it out in under 30 seconds there is a retainer on the bottom of the ignition turn it to the on position press the retainer and pull the ignition out

Sold today to a great buyer. MadMikeyL came and picked her up this morning. Nice meeting, clean transaction and great for everyone involved. Wishing the best of luck and hope to see her in top shape again one day!20220904_102028.jpg20220904_102105.jpg

Back