1995 SC Auto headlamps don't auto shut off during daylight

pollolittle

The auto headlamp switch is on, manual switch is off. When car is started, headlamps come on and stay on, be it day or night, then they delay after ignition switch is turned off.

What could be the problem and where to start looking to see what the problem is?

Is the switch supposed to be backlit? I think so but don't remember. Had the dash apart and didn't see an easy way to replace bulbs and I was in a rush.

I know there is a photocell on the dash, haven't troubleshot anything yet, just noticed it the other day. Can't believe it, been driving it for awhile and it never occurred to me the lights were on, maybe they weren't, but now they are.

Thanks, in advance. I know someone will be around to give insight.

Is this a Canada car?

Have you checked that something isn't sitting on top of the photocell?

Do you have an EVTM?

The auto/dim switch on my '90 isn't backlit.

Is this a Canada car?
Unknown, how do you check. Kinda googled and looked around here, but didn't see info. Had a MO title

Have you checked that something isn't sitting on top of the photocell?
photocell appears to be on the far left of the dash near the A pillar, nothing on the dash.

Do you have an EVTM?
The electronics manual, yes, I haven't pulled the dust off it, yet.

I'm just curious if your SC came with DRL - daytime running lights..I think maybe those sold in Canada were so equipped. Not a big deal if you don't know.

My photocell sits in line w/the steering column, but sure, near the driver side A pillar.

EVTM 87-1 ~ 87-4 covers autolamps. Quoting: 'Inoperative Autolamp Time Control (I think tho that means 'not working' vs. stuck on while driving)...'replace main light switch; check auto lamp sensor'.

If you can isolate it/get to it, maybe disconnect the photo cell to see if that takes the headlights offline when autolamp is on. At least hit it with a strong light source to see if that makes any difference. Stuck on seems odd, tho, which makes we wonder about the health of the main headlight switch.

Any wiring work done on your car lately?

Back