7K mile 89 5 spd for sale on Bring a Trailer

91 Titanium

It's a nice looking white 5 spd located in Myrtle Beach. I have never seen a Currant Red leather interior previously, it looks pretty nice. Overall the car looks like a nearly pristine example.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ford-thunderbird/

This appears to be the first SC sold on the BAT website. They have sold a couple low mileage Turbo Coupes in the last several months that have gone in the $10-15K range. It will be interesting to see where the auction goes on this SC.

MP

I don't think they know that they've exposed the 5 digit door unlock code on the trunk arms....

Also - where is the SC sticker on the air cleaner??

That car is freaking perfect. I’m so happy and amazed that it seems like so many people bought SCs new then locked them in a time capsule for 30 years.

If I could right now, I would buy it. Maybe one of these days.

I still would rather have yours Milton, it's the one I really regret selling and if you ever want to sell let me know.

I thought the plastic piece on the rear reflectors didn't connect all the way across until 93? Or is it vice versa? I'm ashamed to ask that because I don't even remember what my 91 looks like it's been sitting under a cover so long:(

I thought the plastic piece on the rear reflectors didn't connect all the way across until 93? Or is it vice versa? I'm ashamed to ask that because I don't even remember what my 91 looks like it's been sitting under a cover so long:(

If you are talking about the decklid reflectors, 1989-1991 Thunderbirds are "one piece" (in that both are connected in the back behind the license plate) but the reflector parts themselves look like two separate pieces with a seam between them (the red plastic part of the reflector doesn't actually connect the driver and passenger side). If you try to buy a driver's side reflector, you're going to end up buying both driver's side and passenger side at the same time because they are attached to each other as one big piece. One could use a reciprocating saw and cut the black plastic in the back where the license plate goes and use a driver's side from one and a passenger side reflector from another if you wanted (maybe if you are trying to save the better half from two sets).

1992-1997 Thunderbirds have reflectors/lights and are two totally separate pieces. They do not have a tiny piece of reflector going above the license plate (like early ones). They also appear to have a slight "bulge" or "curve" in the middle rather than being totally flat vertically. These are much easier to order in the mail.

I converted my 1990 Thunderbird to using 1997 LX taillights/trunklid & refletors because I liked the fact that 1992-1997 trunklids glow when the headlights are on and I liked the spoiler that came off the trunklid. FYI: The 1997 Thunderbird LX I parted out did not have black paint on the bottom inch of the taillights/trunklid reflector. Supercoupes from 1992-1995 did not have black paint at the bottom but LX models did have black paint (and probably any other non-Supercoupe from the time). So if you are looking for 1992-1995 SC taillights, you can also look for 1997 Thunderbird LX taillights, maybe even 1996 Thunderbirds too.

I'm only sharing because I met a Supercouper the other day who didn't know you could get 1992-1995 SC-style taillights (no black paint) from 1997 Thunderbirds and maybe even 1996 Thunderbirds.

Last edited:
Directional rims?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this SC have driver side rims all the way around? I know my 95s came with directional rims. Was that the same case in 89? It seems the ones on the passenger side are pointing the wrong way. I'd still love to have this one, though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this SC have driver side rims all the way around? I know my 95s came with directional rims. Was that the same case in 89? It seems the ones on the passenger side are pointing the wrong way. I'd still love to have this one, though.

89-92 SC's did not have directional wheels. 93-95 did :)

I have a 1993 SC (with directional rims) and my friend noticed the spokes look a little thinner than the ones on my 1990 SC. He asked me if there was a noticeable difference in weight between the two styles. I honestly don’t know the answer, but I was wondering if anyone else experimented and/or knew the answer.

I was thinking about buying some nicer sporty tires next year (favoring traction and handling over longevity) and wasn’t sure if it was somehow more advantageous to put them on the 1993 rims rather than my spare 1990 rims.

I still would rather have yours Milton, it's the one I really regret selling and if you ever want to sell let me know.

I like mine better also, partly because I'm partial to Titanium for these cars. It's going great and I have no plans to sell, but I'll call you if that changes.

This white one interests me as an indicator of what a pristine example can bring in an auction.

MP

I would like to know where this guy found a piece of new old stock trim for the passenger side drip rail he said he replaced in the video.

Man that’s a nice car. Glad it sold for as much as it did. I think $14,000 is how much I spent on my 1990, 1991, & 1993 Thunderbird SCs combined, plus parts. If I had the money, I would have tried to buy this one too :D

I was so impressed with the up-close photos this guy took, I literally downloaded all 260 images to refer to when I reassemble my 1991 Tbird.

I have a 1993 SC (with directional rims) and my friend noticed the spokes look a little thinner than the ones on my 1990 SC. He asked me if there was a noticeable difference in weight between the two styles. I honestly don’t know the answer, but I was wondering if anyone else experimented and/or knew the answer.

I was thinking about buying some nicer sporty tires next year (favoring traction and handling over longevity) and wasn’t sure if it was somehow more advantageous to put them on the 1993 rims rather than my spare 1990 rims.

Yes, the 93+ wheels are noticeably lighter. I weighed them at one point, but don't remember how much....seems like 1-3lbs each.

I bought it.

I purchased the BAT 89SC. It now has a new home in Westfield,IN. Paid $13,750. Very pleased. Dand

Back