Thread: Non OEM Crank Position Sensor - Possible to retrofit?

Non OEM Crank Position Sensor - Possible to retrofit?

Forgive me if this has been explored before, I didnt find any direction with a quick search.

The CPS on my 91 SC is toast as it dies when the engine is warm or has hot soaked.

Troubleshot it, its definitely a failed sensor, and there does not appear to be any OEM or aftermarket sensors readily available.

Our parts counterman here has the idea to retrofit from a different vehicle with the same sensor style.

Before I go all "Rube Goldberg", Is there any tried and true conversions that I should look into or maybe a top secret source for sensors?

Thanks in advance,

~Psychic~

Others have looked, so far to no avail. Example see: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...+sensor+ranger

My secret source amounts to local junkyards. I had an inventory, but I'm at zero right now.

I would work very hard to confirm the one you have is acting out, and sure, they can act up when hot, but I'd test the waveform when it's suspect just to be sure. See:http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...monic-balancer

If you and your parts guy want to be heros, start here:https://wellsve.com/sft503/counterp_v3_i1_1999.pdf - noting, I believe, that the early SC's 4-wire +shielded ground sensor is the Ford type discussed in that PDF, where the (square wave) signal swings from max ref. voltage on (window closed), to near zero off (window open).

Wires at the crankshaft sensor 4-pin connector:
    • VBAT - R/LG, I believe comes in off the IRCM, switched there, also feeds the DIS, I think.
    • PIP - signal out DB/O to pin 4 DIS, (this is the wire I sniff for waveform checks)
    • PIP - signal out DB to pin 56 EEC
    • Ign. gnd - LB, out to pin 16 EEC & pin 7 IRCM

5th lone wire is the shielded pigtail ground (EMI aid) that goes into the harness near the cam sensor and leads over the the noise suppressor/gnd. at the coil.

Please do your own leg work to confirm my wiring notes, I use the EVTM, but, still...

You'll basically need a sensor that bolts in and works the same way, with the same 4+1 wiring, if you plan on working with off the shelf components. Keep in mind that our style hall effect sensor, once high tech, went out of style in the automotive world many years ago as the tech matured over the years.

Good luck.

Ken
    Last edited by KMT; 12-03-2019 at 12:02 AM.

Has anyone attempted to remanufacture one on their own using an existing crank sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosch View Post
    Has anyone attempted to remanufacture one on their own using an existing crank sensor?
    I'm going to give it a shot. This is supposed to be my 3 season driver..

..and I didn't like sitting on the side of the road waiting for it to cool down like I did the other morning.

Also, I'm as cheap as I am curious.

~Psychic~

Quote Originally Posted by psychicmechanic View Post
    I'm as cheap as I am curious
    If you feel like rolling the dice, try one of these off eBay, $12.77:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-Crank...53.m1438.l2649

4-pin +1 - You'll need to hack it's connector, and guess on wire color. SC is same connector design, but opposite/male.

Did the retrofit work dying to know

oh, the suffering

Quote Originally Posted by 35th View Post
    Did the retrofit work dying to know
    Spent some shop time last Saturday and again today trying to modify a sensor from a 92ish 4 cylinder Ranger (MasterPro PN#2-96096) to work. Cranks no start. Will go back to the drawing board and advise.

i will get this CPS thing retrofitted or die trying. Will keep you posted.

~Psychic~

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    If you feel like rolling the dice, try one of these off eBay, $12.77:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crank-Crank...53.m1438.l2649

4-pin +1 - You'll need to hack it's connector, and guess on wire color. SC is same connector design, but opposite/male.

So this one is the same style that I attempted to modify. Major modifications to get it to fit, will let you know if I can get it to work.

So this one is the same style that I attempted to modify. Major modifications to get it to fit, will let you know if I can get it to work.
    I'll be very happy if you can let me know either way, thanks

Ken

Best of luck! Please take pictures and document as best you can, if you can get it to function I know a lot of people will be wanting to know how to do this.

Possible to retrofit?

Not having any luck retrofitting a different sensor.

Getting a different one to fit in the bracket and have the correct clearance is the issue.

I destroyed one perfectly good non-application sensor trying to modify it.

My next step would be a Mallory set-up, but this will get spendy and will look pretty non-factory.

Still trying to find an OEM unit. Let me know if any of you have a line on one.

Advise? Thanks!

~Psychic~

Just a week or so ago Bill Evanoff (Supercoupe Performance) put a call out on Facebook to get testers for the CPS he was having made. I guess he got all he needed pretty quick as he posted soon after that that all test sensors had already been spoken for. Hopefully this means that the lack of sensors on the market is soon to end. The only downside is that when you're the only game in town you get to set the pricing. No word on pricing yet from him, but R&D isn't cheap and especially on limited run parts..
    1990 Anniversary 5 speed: Built 4/90
    Motor is finally in and it is ALIVE!

1990 Anniversary 5 speed parts car. Built 2/90

Quote Originally Posted by A1cntrler View Post
    Just a week or so ago Bill Evanoff (Supercoupe Performance) put a call out on Facebook to get testers for the CPS he was having made. I guess he got all he needed pretty quick as he posted soon after that that all test sensors had already been spoken for. Hopefully this means that the lack of sensors on the market is soon to end. The only downside is that when you're the only game in town you get to set the pricing. No word on pricing yet from him, but R&D isn't cheap and especially on limited run parts..
    Wow, I didn't even know this was in the pipeline. I don't need one, thankfully, my car is running pretty strong, but having one on the shelf would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by A1cntrler View Post
    That's awesome! Hopefully one of you fellas can update this post in benefit of all of us who are not on the phasebook
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder how difficult it would be to make a 94-95 crank sensor work.

We can switch over exciter rings (or may require switching over to 94-95 HB), timing cover should be able to accept the new sensor, wiring may take some work but shouldn't be that difficult making an adapter harness? This would solve that issue pretty quick, and still allow for use of OEM parts.
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!