Starter question

gbabione

I fried my starter a few weeks ago. I think caused by a combination of cranking too much and using the 200amp boost on my battery charger. I searched all over for an OEM part number and didn't find one. When looking for a new starter, I found a few different numbers. I ordered a new one from Rock Auto because it was the only Motorcraft part that I found. The part number is NSA3180N. There was no picture, but it said it fit an SC. When it arrived, I found it to be a different part. I found more sites saying it did fit than ones that said it didn't. The description said it was a new design so I figured I'd give it a shot. It has no solenoid on the outside so no trigger. I taped the trigger wire so it wouldn't ground. When I tried to connect the battery, I was getting sparks off the terminal. I was thinking that if the solenoid on the fender was already closed, it might do that. I also figured if that was the case, the starter would've kicked in. Since it didn't, I'm thinking the starter is shorted or it just won't work on these cars. Does anyone have any ideas if this starter should work? If the starter being wrong is causing the sparks? What other problem could it be?

What year is your SC?

Is this what it looks like? I'd guess not if it doesn't have a solenoid...

> new design - It has no solenoid on the outside so no trigger.

Did it have specific directions on how to wire it according to it's new design? By removing the second solenoid, I can imagine it could be as simple as not using the small trigger wire like you did...

You can test for continuity thru the fender solenoid easy enough at both large terminals to see if it is stuck closed. Maybe something more than the starter was fried... Have you inspected the ground cables at the motor mounts, both sides to be sure those cables are clean and healthy? Did you replace any cables? Do you know how to check for voltage drop thru the cables?

With the new starter installed, you should be able to hit it with jumper cables to confirm it will spin the engine. Are you sure the engine wants to spin over?

Curious you had trouble finding one with original design, tho.

Last edited:
It's a 91. Everything I found that looked like the correct part was made by companies I never heard of. I was guessing made in China or Mexico. I was more assured that the Motorcraft would be good. Here is an image of what I got. Under that cover is I think a mechanical engagement for the gear. There is a tab that is connected to the power lug.

41N23tA6dKL._SX425_.jpg

I haven't had time to check anything yet. My plan was to check all that you mentioned. I was hoping someone had input on this other style of starter.

Back