what to do?? two choices???

pro street rich

Well now I have a issue to work thru.. The Carlisle is june 5th to 7th and the hot rod power tour starts June 7th in Norwalk Ohio. So now you say simple go to one and stop in on the second one.. That would be great except I will have the wrong car for one or the other. Add to that there is no way in heck I am going to drive that twin turbo car all that way and still have a life.. That car is set up for short runs not cross country. Now if I take a trailer that kills the power tour... So what is my choice here??????? Rich P.S. if I make someone else ride that far with me in that car I will end up either dead or in court??

I need more details on the 2 cars in question. What car were you planning to take on power tour? Why can’t you take that car to Carlisle? Aside from that pesky risk of death thing, is there any reason the turbo car wouldn’t make the whole drive?

I thought your turbo car had a fancy 5spd auto or something. Why isn't it highway worthy?

Well now I have a issue to work thru.. The Carlisle is june 5th to 7th and the hot rod power tour starts June 7th in Norwalk Ohio. So now you say simple go to one and stop in on the second one.. That would be great except I will have the wrong car for one or the other. Add to that there is no way in heck I am going to drive that twin turbo car all that way and still have a life.. That car is set up for short runs not cross country. Now if I take a trailer that kills the power tour... So what is my choice here??????? Rich P.S. if I make someone else ride that far with me in that car I will end up either dead or in court??

more info

I need more details on the 2 cars in question. What car were you planning to take on power tour? Why can’t you take that car to Carlisle? Aside from that pesky risk of death thing, is there any reason the turbo car wouldn’t make the whole drive?

My plans were to take my super low mileage 35th to Carlisle to show it off on the show floor. There is a good chance that it would win some stuff there as it is so untouched and even has the oem tires on it. I was going to take it there in a trailer to keep the miles down.
Now as for the power tour that is for the twin turbo car to shine. I know it would be a hit there. I would drive it the whole tour and it would be a lot of sore body parts by the time we would make it to Wisc.
So that is the issue, two events that would need two different cars. So what is a guy to do. I have looked at driving all night after the first one but there is no way that I would be able to get back to Ohoi in time for the kick off....Rich

I went a different route.

I thought your turbo car had a fancy 5spd auto or something. Why isn't it highway worthy?

I went with a Lentech trans to keep the OD with a electric shifter. The car can run the highway without getting hot, BUT it will not be the best ride. The car is set up for drag racing not highway trips. So add to that you got to read the first reply I posted....Rich

Well then this is no question at all. Take the turbo car to Carlisle this year. You can take the 35th there next year. Besides, stock is boring, even if it is low mileage. And if you drive it the whole way and something as ridiculous as that car shows up with 1000 miles of dead bugs plastered across the nose, that is way more interesting, at least to me.

too long of a wait for it

when I first was putting this car together I did look at the 6 speed gm trans. Then when they said that the custom case would take somewhere up to 3 month to get I looked at other plans. I got with Lentech and he was able to get the trans with the blow proof bell and housing in less than a month. So I went with his best setup and that was that. I still have the OD but with the lock out. For the shifter I got one that auto shifts for me and you get to set what RPM you want each shift at. So that gave me the best of both worlds as well as was able to keep me on a finish time frame that I had put together....rich

two questions for David and the power tour...

Rich,

I think you would enjoy Power Tour a lot more than Carlisle.

David
I got two questions about your choice here. The first one goes to the issue they had last year with auto theft. Do you feel ok with everything that happened last year?? I was hoping on bringing something that is off the charts but don't want to have to sleep in it all week... lol. The second one goes to sleeping, you have done the tour before so how bad is it going to be to get hotel rooms? and how bad will the inn keepers rip us knowing that we are at their mercy with rates???
Jus tossing these two out there and you have already done the tour so maybe you can answer these for me.. thanks in advance.....Rich

I got two questions about your choice here. The first one goes to the issue they had last year with auto theft. Do you feel ok with everything that happened last year?? I was hoping on bringing something that is off the charts but don't want to have to sleep in it all week... lol. The second one goes to sleeping, you have done the tour before so how bad is it going to be to get hotel rooms? and how bad will the inn keepers rip us knowing that we are at their mercy with rates???
Jus tossing these two out there and you have already done the tour so maybe you can answer these for me.. thanks in advance.....Rich

I think the SC is not on the charts for an auto theft situation IMHO. They're overlooked in any given environment and even heavily modified ones won't be on the radar for auto thefts. Personally it wouldn't be a concern of mine, unless I had something far more flashy. There are several super cars and 1 of 1 cars on the tour, I feel they'd draw more attention.

As for hotel rooms. When I did the tour with Chris Vining 2 years ago the total cost of rooms for 1 week of traveling the power tour was around the cost of a weekend at Carlisle for 3 days. We stayed at Days Inn's, Best Westerns and Super 8 hotels. By no means 5 star accommodations but certainly "nice enough".

Depending on how you want to complete the HRPT you can avoid some of the traffic, potential theft and costs also. I've heard from several local car show guys that have went on the tour, that they went to the next town after the show field concluded. Thus skipping the traffic, skipping the early mornings, potential hotel hikes since arriving 1 day early etc. When we did it we ran on the offical route only half of the time to avoid some of the overheating issues and delays involved with traveling back roads with 5k-7k other tour go'ers.

-Tim

Last edited:
Rich,

Last time I did Power Tour was 2017 and I don't recall any issues with theft. Of the three times I've done it the only time we had an issue was in Knoxville, TN when some crackhead distracted us and his GF walked off with a bag of tools worth about $500 from the trunk of my car. Like Tim said the SC isn't the kind of car they would target.

As for hotels, just get on Expedia and plug in the date and location for each stop on the tour and then pick something from the list of hotels. I did the same thing for 2020 Hot Rod Drag Week that my son and I will be attending in September. Traveling with other SCs would be a plus, mainly so you have some help if you break down. If you are bringing that 4.5 SVO car, suggest bringing lots of tools, spare parts and fluids. We have done many parking lot repairs over the years. Also good to know who is local SC people near each stop just in case you need help. Local guys have helped us many times.

David

here is the thing..

I am looking at bringing a Shelby GT350 or something else?? I would not try going that far with the twin turbo car as it is NOT a nice long distance ride. No air, no cruise, no tunes and no comfort on the race seats. Add to that the wipers are also missing...lol. I also would be stopping all the time for fuel for that 4.5. That is why I asked about the issues that they had last year.....Rich

I also did look into the VIP package

This gives you hotels, parking,and a better night parking setup. I just got to get my head around the price tag on that....rich

The only way I'll do a Power Tour again is with an old, loud car with a big block in it. It has to be able to do burnouts and sound mean. That's the only way to enjoy that kind of thing.

Carlisle is the place for the stock 35th, but there are a few others like it there so it won't stand out there either. Would be cool to see a picture of how many 35ths you can get one frame at a time.

Drag week is cool if you have a car that can stand being beat on mercilessly for a week. Don't know any SC's that fit that description.

Need to bring a caravan of SC'ers to SCUI in spring. We will dyno, drink beer, and pretend we went drag racing. It will be fun. Gotta bring Tony, Micah, Kurt, Dave, Molly, and every other Mid western bloke who hasn't run their car in years though. I have lots of tires to loan out for burnout competitions even. Free of charge. :D We'll call it "Burn Outs under Lights"

The only way I'll do a Power Tour again is with an old, loud car with a big block in it. It has to be able to do burnouts and sound mean. That's the only way to enjoy that kind of thing.

Well I do have my big block 35th that can sound loud, but it hooks up now with the tires on it, so that won't work?? I could take a 67 427 Fairlane, but again it does sound very bad, BUT it hooks up way too good to do burn outs without putting some water down first. Now if I take the gt350 it always sounds bad but I guess I could hook up a sprayer system to wet the tires and do some smokey burnouts. I guess you got to add the WOW factor to all of this and say look it is a real Shelby going down the highway.....rich

what date are you looking at?

Need to bring a caravan of SC'ers to SCUI in spring. We will dyno, drink beer, and pretend we went drag racing. It will be fun. Gotta bring Tony, Micah, Kurt, Dave, Molly, and every other Mid western bloke who hasn't run their car in years though. I have lots of tires to loan out for burnout competitions even. Free of charge. :D We'll call it "Burn Outs under Lights"

I could maybe bring the big block for big dyno numbers as well as the twin turbo car to see if it does like more boost and really set some marks to drink to.. How much beer and burgers are you going to have>????....Rich

I could maybe bring the big block for big dyno numbers as well as the twin turbo car to see if it does like more boost and really set some marks to drink to.. How much beer and burgers are you going to have>????....Rich

Depends on how many people you drag with you. lol

Some thoughts:
  • Bring the 35th since it's the 65th TBird Anniversary at Carlisle for 2020. I would say you would want your 35th at this one.
  • If you have access to a two car trailer then bring both cars and someone else who could drive the truck and trailer. The other person would stay the entire time at Carlisle and pick up any awards for you and deliver the car back to your home. At some point, you leave early from Carlisle and drive the twin turbo car to the starting point of the Hot Rod Power Tour.
  • Have NettlesD drive your twin turbo car on the Hot Rod Power Tour.

Drag week is cool if you have a car that can stand being beat on mercilessly for a week. Don't know any SC's that fit that description.

I agree, Drag Week is not a good fit for the SC...I'm bringing the purple car.

Spring trip to SCU sounds like fun. I thought you had a 1/4 mile track that was pretty close. Now that I've finally fixed that annoying misfiring, I'd really like to race my SC to see what it does with the new tighter converter and exhaust system changes.

David

I agree, Drag Week is not a good fit for the SC...I'm bringing the purple car.

David

Where is you're sense of adventure? just slap some drag radials on the SC on the street tune knock down deep 11s and be happy! I seriously plan on doing drag week with the SC eventually! I want to get it back together this year and debugged possibly pull one off in 2021. If i do id love to get a few other hardcore SC people to do it also. That way we can maybe for once get a little recognition for these stupid things. I'm not saying make record breaking passes every stop. Just put down a respectable number with the car in street trim so it will actually hold together until the next stop. I bet if a few SC's made the trip and laid down some 11s it would at least get mentioned in the magazine. Even better if someone laid down a 10 something! Maybe go balls out on the last stop idk.... I wouldn't want to lug another set of rear tires around the whole trip so i'd just compromise with a good set of street drag radials and let it do what it will do. I don't blame you one but for taking the hellcat! I would if i had one lol! But think about a future SC drag week! If anyone's car would be suited for it, it would be yours and Kurt K's ! I'm quite confident that my new build (When debugged) would be great for it. Especially with some of the new upgrades (full width 4 core radiator, MarkVIII fan, Lintec VB, big brakes, fuel cell with EXTERNAL dual motor pump so i have a contingency plan if one fails) Not to mention the new motor that has pretty much every upgrade possible done to it, the DBL roller timing set with the thorington thrust bearing setup, main girdle , pinned mains, adjustable rockers, screw in studs all that nonsense. And the elimination of Nitrous....

Back