Need advice URGENT: Stranded in Atlanta

Roboplex

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone will read this before the morning, but I'm currently stuck in Atlanta as my power steering in the SC just died. On my way back to Daytona Beach from a road trip through the Smokies I went over a bump and immediately lost Power Steering. Car is currently parked in
my hotel parking garage in Downtown Atlanta. PS Fluid is pouring out as fast as I can add it, from the center of the vehicle directly above the rack & pinion assembly.

Aside from the physical difficulties in driving without PS, would I be safe to drive it 6hrs back to Daytona? Or, if anyone is in Georgia who knows a mechanic open on Sunday, I'd be more than grateful to take a recommendation. I need to be back in Daytona by Monday morning for work, I'm just brainstorming my options here.

Sorry if I've rambled...been one hell of a night.

Joe

Last edited:
Driving that far with no power steering fluid will burn up the pump, so I would avoid that if possible. If it is pouring out that fast, the return hose likely either broke or fell off. I would pull the washer fluid reservoir to see if the return hose is still attached to the bottom of the pump, and it may be as simple as sliding it back on and refilling the fluid. Also if it does need a new return hose, you can use regular rubber fuel hose or transmission cooler hose, which you should be able to pick up at any auto parts store.

I'd drive it home. Given the age of the pump to begin with you'll likely be replacing it when the repair is performed.

In my teenage years as a poor SC owner I drove mine for months in the condition you've mentioned. Purchase some Lucas power steering repair in it. It comes out like a jelly. It will run out but no where as quickly. I'd honestly say I drove mine like this for 6months and it didnt burn up my pump.

-Tim

I'd drive it home. Given the age of the pump to begin with you'll likely be replacing it when the repair is performed.

In my teenage years as a poor SC owner I drove mine for months in the condition you've mentioned. Purchase some Lucas power steering repair in it. It comes out like a jelly. It will run out but no where as quickly. I'd honestly say I drove mine like this for 6months and it didnt burn up my pump.

-Tim
Ended up finding a mechanic who's open, the pressure line hose is completely ruptured. If it was the pump or rack that were bad I'd drive it home but since it's the hose I don't want to ruin the pump by driving it that far without fluid. I did try some Lucas I had in my trunk last night and it did nothing to help the leak. They're sourcing a part for me for it to be done tomorrow afternoon. Thank God hotels in Atlanta aren't too expensive :eek:

Small price to pay for dailying this car I suppose

Last edited:
Usually the hose fails because your motor mounts are shot. Just an FYI if you're not already aware.

-Tim

I know it's probably too late, but it is possible to bypass the power steering pump with a shorter belt. I don't remember the size, it might be somewhere on the site. You will have to tie the existing belt out of the way so you don't have to remove the radiator hose.

I have done this at the drag strip before, so I know it will work.

I know it's probably too late, but it is possible to bypass the power steering pump with a shorter belt. I don't remember the size, it might be somewhere on the site. You will have to tie the existing belt out of the way so you don't have to remove the radiator hose.

I have done this at the drag strip before, so I know it will work.

Update:

Thank you thank you for the recommendation!! After they got the part in they decided to quote me $680 for a damn PS pressure hose!! I called my trusted mechanic in FL and he said no more than $350 total. I think they saw my FL plates and my road-trip supplies and put 2 and 2 together that I was stranded so tried to rip me off. Jokes on them though, I went nextdoor to AutoZone and picked up an 85" serpentine belt and bypassed the PS pulley. Currently just north of Valdosta, looks like the T-Bird is gonna make it home!!

Thanks again for the help, y'all are amazing!!

Joe

Update:

Thank you thank you for the recommendation!! After they got the part in they decided to quote me $680 for a damn PS pressure hose!! I called my trusted mechanic in FL and he said no more than $350 total. I think they saw my FL plates and my road-trip supplies and put 2 and 2 together that I was stranded so tried to rip me off. Jokes on them though, I went nextdoor to AutoZone and picked up an 85" serpentine belt and bypassed the PS pulley. Currently just north of Valdosta, looks like the T-Bird is gonna make it home!!

Thanks again for the help, y'all are amazing!!

Joe
Great news!

"$680 for a damn PS pressure hose!! "

In Canadian dollars it was about $188.68 for the entire rack and pinion and another 20 + shipping for the hose assembly.
what the heck lol

Glad to hear you're home and safe!

Back