Possibly bad tps need some help

20" vacuum @ idle is good.

Plugs/wires w/100 miles on them: What did the ones that came out look like? What part # plugs did you use? What were they gapped at?

Suggest you recheck the plug wire-to-plug fitment...it can be easy to miss a wire that isn't fully seated onto the plug.

Good info about the tach and starting, thanks.

I get it about the vacuum lines. Might help to take photos of what's going on and add them here so others can take a look.

>even with the engine out of the car

That's an interesting thing to know, thanks.

I did the plugs and wires when I pulled the enigne I pulled the enigne because the harmonic balancer broke and I replaced it with a bhj replaced crank sensor cam sensor valve cover gaskets timing cover gasket front main rear main exhaust studs to the pipe tensioner pullies valve covers themselfs but didn't do any internal engine work plugs where not to bad as far as gap I used iridium plugs that autozone said the car called for so I didn't have to gap them I'm sure I'm forgetting other small things I replaced I did a clutch pressure plate throw out slave and master before engine pull the transmission was replaced after all the clutch etc... There are no cats on it (gutted) not sure about 02s

And I triple checked wire to plug fitment cause I noticed when I pulled the engine 2 of them where barely on so I'm sure they are securely attached

Also did timing chain guide thr chain and gears themselfs where in great shape but the guide looked frail and wss extremely cautious to make sure the gears and chain where on correctly I actually zip tied the chain to the gears in multiple places to prevent the chain from changing teeth while gears where off and of course removed zip ties when went back on

Now the previous owner who somehow knew less than I do Aparently about these cars did a bunch of sloppy wiring under the dash but none of it seems to be engine management related more door locks windows seats kind of thing my suspension is the ignition went bad and he rewired stuff to bypass I have another Ignition for it but haven't tackled his wiring to get it back to stock and am afraid to install that part with current wiring but I haven't found and spliced wires around the eec or under the hood just under the column and wires coming out of fuse box that don't belong

There are actually 2 large vacuum lines plugged off which is certainly raising concern both come from same location on the vacumm tree its the top one and the left of top

Good summary, noted, thanks.

Safe to assume you don't know if your current engine issue was/wasn't there before that work?

About the CEL on/off, I'd wonder if the EEC is toggling between using default values, and checking for live data, where it only misses when not using default lookups. Can you estimate the minutes between when each time the CEL comes on? Just curious... More interested in what you may find when pulling codes right now.

Are you sure those are vacuum lines and not windshield washer nozzle tubes? Do you get vacuum on them w/engine running? Do both washers work?

interesting about the MAF.

Photos are great, thanks.

Can you show what's going on with vacuum lines back of intake manifold behind the throttle body and at the PCV?

FYI, the factory wiring diagrams here include fair vacuum line maps, but I tend to rely more on photos, also from here, of new engines from Ford right before they were installed.

Last edited:
Cel only comes on wot high rpm goes off as soon as you release throttle

Interesting that. Might be a code or two that helps understand why.

Let us know if cleaning the MAF has any effect.

Sorry if I missed it, does your SC have EGR?

Have you had a chance to eyeball the wiring harnesses at the O2 sensors?

No egr wires at o2s look good possibly replaced not long before I got it I'm ordering a ObdI scanner to ensure that I pull codes correctly as soon as I have it I'll definitely pull codes

Those vacuum lines that are plugged connected to a tree of other vacumm lines so unless washer fluid goes through the vacumm system the lines shouldn't be for washers and they don't work but I belive that's tied to the under the column issues the pump doesn't come on the blinkers don't function and only 1 speed for wiper motor I think that multiswitch is either bad or possibly wrong one all together bacause the only way to stop the 1 speed on wipers is to set the switch to high.... I know it's a mess trying to work through years of terrible mechanics from the previous owners every time I do something I'm scratching my head and saying why would you think this was a good idea lol

FYI, anything I might suggest assumes a (nearly) stock setup. If you're running a chip, cam, etc. etc. all bets are off.

Those vacuum lines puzzle me, but for now I'm just going to ignore them.

Got it, thanks.

The more we go over things, like the WOT CEL, the less I trust the TPS on your BBK. Once you pull codes, we might re-visit it, and as much as I'm normally against it in this example, get creative.

Any chance you have the stock throttle body?

BTW I sincerely appreciate the time you are spending to help me out with this I really do appreciate it

;)

No problem - you're a hero for even taking on the job w/this one, I think, so anything I can do to help, even if it just means having someone to bounce ideas off of.

And like I said, I have a few things in mind, but I'll wait for codes so I do my best to not send you goose chasing. Not a deal breaker if that doesn't happen, but what with so many geese, well, you know.

BTW, I've come out retirement for the next several weeks, and may not be as free to reply here, but I won't be offline entirely.

Ken

Few more things I've discovered. The tensioner for the J. S. to SC is not holding enough pressure making me wonder if the belt is slipping under heavy load and causing studder and cel momentarily. So I've got one ordered and will install soon and found more spliced wires behind the cover next to your left foot in driver's seat all seem to be lock and window related but certainly not supposed to be that way so more things to redue yay me

Also I pulled the bolts out of the 2 lines that are plugged with the engine running there doesn't seem to be any vacumm on them so possibly they are washer lines that are somehow divided inside that vacuum tree?

Back