Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Possibly bad tps need some help

I belive exhaust leak is from passenger side gutted cat.. Hard to exactly pinpoint when I can't be under the car and in the car... But sounds like it's the pass side cat where it was welded closed after gutting it thought about cutting the completely off but not sure if there is space to put a sleeve and pipe and haven't measured o.d.in order to get pipe

Also might be worth mentioning since we have been over so much pertaining to this issue and I believe I've stated this earlier in this thread but this problem existed before the harmonic balancer broke meaning it was there before I pulled the engine.... When I got the car 1st thing I had to do was gut the cats because it would not run more than approx 5-10 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by 35th View Post
    I belive exhaust leak is from passenger side gutted cat..
    Yeah, don't think that has anything to do w/your issues.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th View Post
    this problem existed before the harmonic balancer broke
    I don't recall if you kept the same engine and injectors, or not.

If not, then you may be back to wiring.

I think we've already gone thru the MAF - did we double check it's the right one? Did you confirm the computer is the correct one?

When I got the car 1st thing I had to do was gut the cats because it would not run more than approx 5-10 minutes
    They were plugged - removing them let the engine breath, but it didn't change the underlying issue from whatever is causing it to over fuel.

If it were me, I'd stop now and go over -every- single connector on the main harness from the computer out to each sensor/component, checking the harness for integrity/damage along the way. P I T A, yes, but so many opportunities for issues.
    Last edited by KMT; 03-11-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Same engine maf is assumption that it's right I've cleaned it but never changed it fuel injectors have been on the engine since I got the car

Looking at around $200 if those injectors can be cleaned and put back into service ($30 plus shipping), otherwise $45 for remans ($270), $60 each new on avg. ($360), maybe less if you can find a set here, plus O2 sensors ($60 and up) ($120). Est. $325 to $500, I think, if it comes to that.

Chris - I got the video, but I don't notice a miss, only that the check engine light comes on.

What work have you done since last time?

Are there any codes associated with the CEL?

Ken

Definitely a miss maybe hard to tell in the vid but the rpm sweep especially when I go into 3rd gear is uneven the vid starts at 2nd gear which is where I go to wot as far as work since last time I've replaced the grey side of the dis mod wiring connector was very careful to make good connections and the cam sensor connector basically pig tails and I've checked the 02sensors wire looks really good and based on numbers on the 02 I think they are Bosch (I did not nor have I ever replaced them)

Also in the vid in 2nd gear (beginning of vid) rpms climb is even and quick in 3rd much slower of a climb obviously as you gear up is gonna slow rpm build up but it's struggling to get get to 4g rpm

Any rich/lean/spark misfire can light the CEL under load if it's bad enough, and of course, result in fuel being dumped into the exhaust. I assume your mileage is still poor.

Why does it pull so much boost?

Might be that much boost means spark issues...could be as simple as gap, or, dropping the boost, say if it is has too much pulley it can't handle.

Does it misfire if you don't exceed 10 lbs. boost?

What was the gap on the plugs on the engine that came with the car? Did you notice?

10% overdrive super charger pully j.s. Stock harmonic balancer stock plugs are preset.

That does not look right I was trying to say 10% super charger pully stock j.s and harm pully

Not sure 10% is your friend, at least without a a plan that supports it, besides otherwise stock.

I suspect you may need to either back down to 5%, or stock, or...determine a different spark plug type/gap scheme to see if that's the issue, or at least one of the issues.

A quick check would be to install a stock early supercharger pulley.

BTW, back in January, you said "Mostly stock only a BBK 3.73 rear gear everything else is stock".... A 10% Supercharger pulley is not stock. I told you then that my efforts to troubleshoot were predicated on stock, otherwise all bets off. That statement still holds. It's hard enough trying to solve these things without all the info. At this point, I'm going to have to beg off and leave you to your own resources, good luck.
    Last edited by KMT; 03-25-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Not saying that you are wrong I thought I said that about the SC overdrive but either way I appreciate you trying

Not sure where the best place to ask this, but its kind of relevant. I read somewhere a year ago that 1989-1993 Thunderbirds shouldnt use a 10% overdrive SC pulley and/or Overdrive Jackshaft pulley without making appropriate adjustments/modifications. But it said 5% should be fine (sadly, its hard to find 5% overdrive JS or SC pulleys). I bought a 7% OD SC pulley from Spinning Wheels SC but havent installed it yet. My 1991 SC has Felpro Permatorq MLS headgaskets (which is an improvement over stock, from what I understand). Should a 1991 stock SC engine with fresh headgaskets be safely able to handle a 7% overdrive SC pulley? If not, what kind of mods could I do to let my car handle a 7% (or maybe even a 10%) OD SC pulley?

Thanks in advance,
    -Rick Leuce