Replaced pads and rotors, unsure how to bleed brakes now

Bosch

So this is probably old hat for all of you by now. My rear brakes were WORN lemme tell you. I managed to figure out that the pistons needed to be screwed back in(this was new to me), but when I went to bleed the lines after having the bleeder screw out so the brake fluid didn't damage anything by being forced back through the lines, nothing came out. Went and did some searching here on sccoa, and for a 89-92 you're just supposed to turn the key to 'run' to let the accumulator pump run or something - is that accurate? Does that mean I have to start the engine? My car is currently up on jackstands and I'm hesitant to start the car because I don't want the starter torque to wobble it off the stands.

For early SC's, you need key on so that the system will energize the rears properly while bleeding...the engine doesn't need to be running. If the pump comes on while bleeding, be sure to let it build pressure and stop...you don't want the pump to keep running for long periods of time. Be patient, take your time.

The ABS pump builds pressure in the accumulator (a high pressure brake fluid reservoir). The accumulator makes sure you still have some fluid under high pressure for a few brake applications in an emergency if the pump goes out.

You do not need to follow the key on procedure when bleeding the fronts.

See this PDF for details on that system: http://www.sccoa.com/faq/Floyd ABS Article.pdf

For early SC's, you need key on so that the system will energize the rears properly while bleeding. -- If the pump comes on while bleeding, be sure to let it build pressure and stop...you don't want the pump to keep running for long periods of time. Be patient, take your time.

Clarification questions, for my sanity. Key on, system comes online, fill reservoir, close cap, partner depresses brake, open bleeder valve, bleed brake line. If pump comes on, close bleeder valve, allow pressure to build, check reservoir to see if it needs extra filling, rinse and repeat til line stops bubbling. Am I missing a step or out of order?

Edit: worked like a charm. Brakes feel so much better now. It was unreal how low they were. Gonna do fronts next paycheck after rent.

Last edited:
Glad you worked it out.

Sent you a pm this morning, BTW. I had a whole thing written up, but the forums decided it was spam, so...

Last edited:
Glad you worked it out.

Sent you a pm this morning, BTW. I had a whole thing written up, but the forums decided it was spam, so...

Thanks Ken! You're a true font of knowledge, I think you've had an answer to every newb question I've had so far.

Back