Thread: Removing the whole dash--how to?

Removing the whole dash--how to?

Thinking about grabbing a whole dash out of a 97 at the junkyard as a spare for my car. Anyone have a guide/pics on how to remove it?
    Be excellent to each other.

Under the hood, driverís side unbolt the main bulkhead connector (10mm) and push in the clips that hold the dash harness to the firewall, and push that connector back into the car. Next go to the passenger side and pull back the inner fender to get to the antenna wire. Disconnect it from the antenna and push the grommet through into the car. Now open the passenger door, pull back the weatherstripping and remove the kick panel. There are a few electrical connectors behind the kick panel that need to be unhooked, but no need to mess with the ECM wiring. There are 2 bolts, I think 14 or 15mm, one is at the bottom of the dash behind the kick panel, and the other is about 6Ē above it, accessed by dropping the glove box. While the glove box is down, disconnect the vacuum/electrical/cable connections to the HVAC unit. Pop the trim off the A-pillar, then pop the one off the top front of the dash and there are several 8mm bolts going across that area that hold the top of the dash to the firewall. Now go around to the driverís side. Again pull back the weatherstripping and pull the kick panel. Now crawl under the driverís side dash. There will be a few electrical connections behind the left kick panel, including another connector with a 10mm bolt in the center. Next remove the 13mm bolt holding the steering column to the steering shaft, and slide the shaft down out of the column. If you are concerned about the clockspring, now is the time to secure the wheel to the column somehow (duct tape works well as long as you donít leave it on too long). Now sit in the driverís seat, get the rest of the bolts along the top that you couldnít get from the passenger side, then remove the center console. Unplug the white connector at the bottom center of the dash that goes down through the floor, then remove the 2 10 or 11mm nuts at the bottom center of the dash. At this point, the dash is fully disconnected. Recline both seats, pull the dash away from the firewall, and have a 2nd person grab the other side and pull it out the driverís side while watching to make sure none of the wiring gets caught, and then youíre done.

Awesome. Thank you.
    Be excellent to each other.

Yeah its not too hard. I got one out of the yard once by myself with not alot of room to open the doors. Didn't crack it either.
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

Rod has a writeup on dash-swapping a 89-93 dash for a 94+....I think on TCCoA. That may help you locate the bolts that need removed.

Basically, there are 8mm bolts along the windshield, beneath trim that need removed, a couple of studs/nuts on the tranmission tunnel and then about 4-5 bolts or studs/nuts on each lower A-pillar. Then there are the electrical connectors, climate control vacuum lines, etc. Like Chris said, it's not too hard.
    Matt Haub
    Shootouts: '09 SS 1st | '10 Mod1 2nd | '11 Bracket 3rd | '12 Bracket 1st | 2013 | '14 Bracket 3rd | 2015 | '16 Bracket 1st & Mod2 2nd | '17 Spectator | '18 Freeze-Plug Champ
    Black '89 5spd - 281K miles, MPx, Alky-Inj ¶ 387rwhp, 438rwtq (new motor) ¶ Best 1/4mi:12.521, MPH:107.23mph (old motor)
    35th Anniversary Auto 46k miles | Red '93 Auto 186k miles
    My Garage