Looking for a donor AOD

Kevin92

Hey everyone I am looking for a spare AOD for my SC to be rebuilt, what are my best options just in case the SC ones at the junkyards are in bad condition. Would a 91 F-150 or a Ecoline work? I think I read somewhere that the outer shell of the 5.0 T-Bird/Mustang AOD are weaker than the SC ones. Does anyone know what AOD would be good to use for a rebuild? I know of a really good shop I want to take it to.

The SC case is no stronger than any others, but there are differences in things like shift linkage that make it more complicated to swap in one out of a truck or Mustang. If everything internal is getting rebuilt and upgraded, then I would get one out of any 89-93 MN12. If you are looking to re-use some internal parts, wait for an SC one. There are differences in the number of clutch packs, as well as the SC AOD is the only one to receive the "A" servo for the OD band.

What about the governor, valve body and input shafts? My budget is around 3g's, and the n/a 3.8 AOD has 127,000 mi and the SC one has 200,000 mi. I would save around $200 if I buy the n/a AOD. This will be for a stock SC and I want it as reliable as it can be. What one should I get with the budget I have?

Last edited:
The input shafts are the same. Not sure on the governor, but the best stock governor to get is one out of a MarkVII. The valve body I don’t know if they are different, but that should be changed to a lentech regardless.

Will the cheapest Lentech valve body work good with a stock motor? There's different ones:
AOD Street Cruiser Valvebody
AOD Street Terminator Valvebody, calibration 1..
AOD Street Terminator Valvebody, calibration 2 for lockup
AOD Street Terminator Valvebody, calibration 2 for nonlock
AOD Street Terminator Valvebody, calibration 3..
AOD Strip Terminator Valvebody (Autoshift)
AOD Strip Terminator Valvebody (Manual Shift)
AOD Strip Terminator Valvebody (w/Brake Manual Shift)
AODE/4R70W Street Terminator V-body,calib. #1 Was $545.00!
AODE/4R70W Street Terminator V-body,calib. #2 Was $545.00!
AODE/4R70W Street Terminator V-body,calib. #3 Was $545.00!
AODE/4R70W Strip Terminator Valvebody (Autoshift)
AODE/4R70W Strip Terminator Valvebody (Manual Shift)
AODE/4R70W Strip Terminator V-body (w/brake Autoshift)

Back