Thoughts on a 2013 Focus

99GSXR750

Just wondering if there's anyone here with Focus experience. I've been car shopping for my niece and everything in her price range isn't all that spectacular. I did come across a 5 speed 2013 Focus S. It's priced at $5500 and seems to be in good shape. It's definitely better than anything else she's looked at, but her hang up is the manual transmission. Any info about what to look out for or problems would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

good cars

these are good cars as long as it is stick shift. The "S" is the bottom end of the chart but it is still a good car. The auto cars do have some issue's with the trans, but the stick is always good. Look it over good and get a auto check to make sure it has not been hurt.. Good luck....Rich

I didn't follow it all that closely, but I heard the dual-clutch automatic Fiestas and Focuses have tons of trouble and customers hate them, but people who own ones with a manual transmissions (and maybe the older autos that are NOT dual-clutch) tend to like their cars.

If the manual trans is a deal-breaker, $5,500 could buy a decent Crown Vic (my brother owns one, hardly does any maintenance to it and it's in better shape than MY cars).

Last edited:
they are pretty good

Thanks Rich....Are there area of the car that are prone to rust, kind of like an SC? :eek:

I have seen ones that are 08's that still look good. The only worry is the auto trans ones from 2013 and up. Ford has been working with owners with them to make the issue not as bad. Good luck and just stay away from the dual clutch cars...Rich

The only Focus experience I have is with the ST. I LOOOOVVVEEE mine. Tons of fun. Gotta love a car that's only available as a stick.

The only Focus experience I have is with the ST. I LOOOOVVVEEE mine. Tons of fun. Gotta love a car that's only available as a stick.

I’ve always wanted a Bullitt Mustang for that reason. So glad they made them last year.

The 13+ Focus are nice very solid driving cars, other than the Powershift transmission as mentioned by others. If you can get in to one with the 5-speed manual trans you should be fine. We see very few issues with these cars at the dealership not related to the dual clutch Powershift trans.

cheers
Ed

I have a 12 focus se with the dual clutch trans. I have 176k miles on it. They seem to take a water pump around 150-160 takes 45min to change. Mine took a tcm under warranty at 120k. And the shift solenoid went at 175k $2400 for full trans rebuild with new clutches. We have a fleet of them for service and fully loaded at 4000 lbs their whole life. I can get 42mpg but drive it like I stole it so 36-38 mpg. They are basically used as trucks and hold up well. I do oil and filter changes 20-30k miles and it will not die

Ohey a Focus post!

Oh man, I wish I hadn't missed this when it first was posted. My brother has a '15 SE he dailies and the thing is pretty solid and reliable. I have an '18 ST I daily and I'm beyond happy with the decision I made. The only persistent issue with the pre-facelifts (2014 on back) is the lower lip of the back hatch rotting out due to the drain holes not being low enough. Stay away from the SEL and Titanium trim levels because they eat gearboxes like it is nobody's business.
The S-line I have never ever seen in person. They weren't exactly the most popular around here just because they were a manual married to the lowest tier engine. The common consumers got the SE, the ones with a little more spending money got the SEL, Titanium (with their garbage gearboxes. Shame on Ford's part), and the people who actively wanted manuals just got the ST/RS because they had the 2.0/2.3 turbo engines.
I'd recommend the SE/ST wholeheartedly, I have no bid on the S with it being so rare, the RS used to be problematic with the head gaskets, and the SEL/Titanium are just wallet time-bombs.

Thanks for the replies. She did buy it and unfortunately hates it because of the 5 speed. I'm sure her attitude will change as she becomes more comfortable with it. Overall its a good solid rust free car which was hard to find in her price range.

Mike

Back