New 1989 SC Owner

murray3473

Need Help!
Barn find 1989 SC in excellent condition that won't start. Car has not run for 15 years. I installed a new battery, fuel pump, regulator, inertia switch and filter. Turns over strong, good fuel pressure and spark but won't start. Car does not have a master cylinder or booster on it, not sure if that matters. I am very knowledgeable with cars but stumped on this one!

See if this no-start troubleshooting walk-thru helpa:

http://mnharms.com/tutorials/disnostart/

Don't let experience with older/other cars blind you...no joke, these cars live/die on their electronics, principally their grounds. They hate sitting, love to break when not running, and fifteen years is about 15 too many. Get your hands on a factory repair manual and EVTM, check eBay.

Given your skill set, I'm sure you replaced the plugs and wires and did a compression test. if you haven't looked at the plugs yet, they may be crusted over. Rings could be gummed up and not sealing, etc. etc. Who knows if the car even ran when parked.

I'm sure you got all the old fuel out and put plenty of new in, but my guess it none of it is making it's way past the injectors.

Try feeding it some ether while cranking.

See if you can read codes.

Removing the master cylinder shouldn't be a factor, but given 'things' were taken apart, there is no telling. FYI, these cars didn't come from the factory w/brake boosters. The ABS relies on hydraulic assist and an accumulator.

Last edited:
Back