Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1991 SC brake booster seems to charge a lot

And for anyone looking at alternatives for the shaft seal.. here's an old thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...tor+shaft+seal

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Leuce View Post
    I get 4 brake pedal presses before the accumulator charges.
    4 pumps is marginal. 6 or less is usually when I start shopping for a new one.

Sorry if I missed it, do you have any idea just how old that accumulator is?

five times it was 20.
    Sounds like you're safe in that case, as long as those are full, firm pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Yes, sounds like a typical example of a weak/failing/old accumulator. I've also seen this with corroded relay, and harness connectors.

After the lights go out, how many pumps do you get on the pedal before it comes on again?
    I also had the same thing happening and it ended up being a bad relay. The relay worked well enough to switch the motor/pump on for recharging the accumulator but would kick out when load increased and before accumulator was fully charged resulting in much more frequent charging cycle, until eventually it would just click on and off without charging the accumulator. Replacing the relay fixed it. About a year or two later I also replaced the accumulator, just because it was original.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    4 pumps is marginal. 6 or less is usually when I start shopping for a new one.

Sorry if I missed it, do you have any idea just how old that accumulator is?

Sounds like you're safe in that case, as long as those are full, firm pumps.
    We replaced the accumulator in 2013.

Im starting to think that the relay could be my issue; I may need to order another one. But I may order a spare accumulator just to have; one of my Supercoupes should need it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    I also had the same thing happening and it ended up being a bad relay.
    I had a new accumulator on order, and a good spare pump on the bench, when I found the relay and it's connector greened up to no end. Replaced the relay and connector, canceled the order, put the pump back into storage, and the ABS has been happy for 2+ years since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Leuce View Post
    We replaced the accumulator in 2013.

Im starting to think that the relay could be my issue; I may need to order another one. But I may order a spare accumulator just to have; one of my Supercoupes should need it soon.
    I waffle between buying a fresh accumulator when they become available, and not wanting one to waste from years unused. For now, I don't have a spare and hope taking chances doesn't bite me in the tailpipe.

Relay is low hanging fruit, so...just be sure to lay eyes on it's connector, also the one with the hot leads/grnds. at the side of the master cylinder to confirm they're clean/snug. Tangs break easy, so be gentle.