pre 94 steering wheel swap questions , LX to SC

351tt

I have been looking at the steering wheel in the teal 93 5.0 project car , its grey and the original wheel from the car , so not an SC .. its in very good shape, and its " ok " looking but planned on adding a custom leather wrap to it with a small amount of padding to make it a bit more comfortable and also imo look better .. but until then I was thinking of installing an early SC wheel which is black and it actually may look better anyway... ,not sure what year its off , it may be an 89 or 90 ? ... anyway,. does anyone know if this is a direct swap , anything I should be aware of , electrical contacts etc ?.
I have the whole SC steering column but was just going to pull the wheel and install it on the column in the car.
Thanks in advance .
Dave .

No you don’t. Loosen the bolt but leave it still threaded in a few turns. Now grab both sides of the wheel and wiggle back and forth while pulling on it as hard as you can. It will come right off.

Ok, thanks Mike, I will give it a try .

No you don’t. Loosen the bolt but leave it still threaded in a few turns. Now grab both sides of the wheel and wiggle back and forth while pulling on it as hard as you can. It will come right off.

I did get the steering wheels off and swapped, thanks Mike , what I ended up doing was I backed off the bolt and then pulled fairly hard and then my boy gave the head of the bolt a few good taps with a hammer, just pulling on it felt like it was going to damage the wheel , but either way they are swapped and I/we do like the black SC wheel better so it may just stay that way .. will try to post a pic on the Moon roof install thread .
Thanks again for your input .
Dave

Ok, thanks Mike, I will give it a try .

Back