Need help purchasing a new HB for my 95 SC...

The material is iron. Dayco calls it Spheroidal Graphite iron casting which is just another term for ductile iron. It is stronger than aluminum, stronger than regular iron but not quite as strong as steel.

Rock Auto info page

Dayco info page

Thanks for the info again man... I think that is the one I am going to go for. The Dorman one from the 98 F-150 4.2L can probably be used as well as long as the crank sensor ring can be transferred over from the old SC balancer to the new one. Downside to Dorman is that the HB hub is aluminum and not iron. It would likely work for a while...but.. we all know how that combo of aluminum hub and steel / iron ring work out.

One other thing.. What is the tooth count for the crankshaft ring on the PB1585N balancer?

Thanks again!

One other thing.. What is the tooth count for the crankshaft ring on the PB1585N balancer?

Thanks again!

The tooth count on that ring is 35 teeth.

You're welcome. If you need any more measurements/photos or whatever it will be on my shelf for some time yet.

Last edited:
I decided to order go ahead and order DAYCO PB1585N from RockAuto. This balancer is from a 2004 Ford Freestar with the 4.2L. On RockAuto's site, it stated that the balancer material is a ductile iron construction. It is also for an internally balanced engine, having no counterweight.

Here are some pictures to compare the PB1585N to the original 94-95 SC balancer. I verified that it is indeed all ductile iron and it appears to be much more substantial in quality than the factory junk harmonic balancer. So, I will be installing this when I get my motor put back together. Even the crankshaft sensor ring is the same as the 94-95 SC!

If this works, this would give us a 94-95 SC's a more inexpensive alternative to the BHJ balancers. I am in no way knocking the quality of the BHJ's, but for those of use who cannot justify the cost of them ($500-ish new), this $100 HB made of all iron instead of the garbage aluminum hub of Ford design.

Please let me know what you all think. Much thanks to all for your posts and suggestions!!

Attachments

• IMG_1019-1.jpg
    IMG_1019-1.jpg
    433.2 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1020-1.jpg
    IMG_1020-1.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1021-1.jpg
    IMG_1021-1.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1022-1.jpg
    IMG_1022-1.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1023-1.jpg
    IMG_1023-1.jpg
    644.9 KB · Views: 208
interesting - looks like you nailed it.

I keep wondering what parts on my 2002 Windstar besides the oil filter I can use on my SC ;)

Might be the iron will add a bit more smoothness to the engine, not that there is a lot now.

Good luck w/it.

Yes sir! I have high hopes for this! IT was $89 plus shipping from RockAuto!
I appreciate all of your help here!

Good morning

Is there a height difference between the original balancer/pulley combination vs dayco harmonic balancer? Most likely an optical illusion in the first picture. The "boss" pulley mount height of the original balancer looks a little taller vs the dayco. Might affect the accessory/jackshaft 8 rib belt alignment.

Good morning

Is there a height difference between the original balancer/pulley combination vs dayco harmonic balancer? Most likely an optical illusion in the first picture. The "boss" pulley mount height of the original balancer looks a little taller vs the dayco. Might affect the accessory/jackshaft 8 rib belt alignment.

That is an optical illusion due to camera angle. I think what makes it appear taller is the actual thickness of the balance ring on the Dayco balancer is substantially "thicker" than the one on the SC balancer. When placed side by side on a flat surface, and a measured, they are equal height. I did a quick fit of my stock main pulley and it seems to fit fine.

I hope this helps!

Looks like the only thing you will need to do is re-drill the one offset bolt hole on your crank pulley with a larger hole so it will fit the symmetrical bolt pattern on the new balancer. See circled hole on stock balancer picture, it is the one that is slightly offset to insure timing marks on the crank pulley line up.

Dayco balancer vs stock.jpg

the one that is slightly offset

An MST12002 should help w/that...

Specialboltchart_zps0a6ff027.gif

Looks like the only thing you will need to do is re-drill the one offset bolt hole on your crank pulley with a larger hole so it will fit the symmetrical bolt pattern on the new balancer. See circled hole on stock balancer picture, it is the one that is slightly offset to insure timing marks on the crank pulley line up.

View attachment 70753

Hey Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out. Seeing that this is a minor modification, should I be concerned about removing material from the pulley and an affect of the balance of the pulley?

Hey Dave,

Thanks for pointing that out. Seeing that this is a minor modification, should I be concerned about removing material from the pulley and an affect of the balance of the pulley?

No, not enough to worry about. The stock stamped steel pulley and original balancer were balanced as a set, so it probably won’t be well balanced unless you go with a machined aluminum pulley like what comes in an under drive set. If it was me I would swap crank pulley to stock size aluminum or do a UD pulley set. Also double check the bolt length to make sure they don’t bottom out before tightening against the pulley. Some balancers are not drilled and tapped as deep as stock. Just add a washer to take up the slack.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the info Dave. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this right the first time!

Is SCP the only place to buy an new pulley for this? I have seen crank pulleys that are designed to overdrive the SC. Are these safe and a good way to OD the supercharger?

Thanks again.

Thanks again for the info Dave. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this right the first time!

Is SCP the only place to buy an new pulley for this? I have seen crank pulleys that are designed to overdrive the SC. Are these safe and a good way to OD the supercharger?

Thanks again.

Spinning Wheels SC was also selling these parts but it looks like their website is now offline, so SCP may be the only source. I know several people who have used the MP 10% OD crank pulley and yes it's a good way to overdrive the supercharger 10% and will also be zero balanced and will work good with the new balancer. Just requires a new longer belt from crank pulley to jackshaft pulley.

I just prefer UD pulley set (because it gains 15 HP) and then overdrive the supercharger from the jackshaft pulley 5 or 10%. The MP crank pulley was usually only installed when you couldn't overdrive any more with jackshaft and supercharger pulley. Like if you were trying to get 25% OD using a MPX blower. That said there is no reason it can be used first if you are okay with the 10% OD.

David

Last edited:
Were you able to confirm the Powerbond Balancer worked after making the modification suggested in post #30?

If not, do you have an estimated time when the project will be wrapped up?

For my own curiosity I purchased the Free Star balancer.

It in fact works. I am in the process of restoring a 95 SC and making a YouTube channel in the process. Once the episode is ready I'll post the link.

89$ and it works as it should.

-Tim

For my own curiosity I purchased the Free Star balancer.

It in fact works. I am in the process of restoring a 95 SC and making a YouTube channel in the process. Once the episode is ready I'll post the link.

89$ and it works as it should.

-Tim

I've never heard of Free Star before. Where'd you find that? Looking forward to your channel, Tim, it might provide some much needed motivation to finish my RedBird

I've never heard of Free Star before. Where'd you find that? Looking forward to your channel, Tim, it might provide some much needed motivation to finish my RedBird

Freestar and Windstars are fords FWD minivans from 90 to 00s

Back