IRCM documentation for all SC models

DNA

Greetings,

For the benefit of the those remaining active members (and my own technical curiousity), I am documenting the the inner workings of all the IRCM control modules used on the 89-95 Supercoupes. I've also
gone through a 1996 LX module used with the 4.6 modular engines with the intention of making it compatible as a replacement. All the electronic components on this circuit board are mass production grades parts which in 95% of the time exceed the life of the vehicle. The main exception is the electrolytic capacitors which age and eventually short out. These are inexpensive and easy to swap

I have completed the first full schematic diagram for the 1989-1990 systems and the 1996 LX model. The 1996 model is actually very similar to the early units, but they have a vastly update printed circuit board and for those of you who have opened these up, they now use Bosch relays which replace the Motorcraft relays that were made in Portugal. The new ones are the 40 amp relays with Bosch branding.

If anyone has any defective IRCM units of any year model made for the SC cars, please consider donating them to this forensic project. I will cover the postage and you might get it back in a repaired condition.

I am also looking for a photo from any of the Ford Shop Manuals that show the connector details for the IRCM module. A simple JPG file of that page would contribute significantly in creating a cross reference chart and allow the pins to be relocated in the connector shells so that a module could be easily converted to work for another SC car.

Thanks to all

Dave

I don’t know off the top of my head where it is, but I did pop open my 1991 SC IRCM relay when my fan stopped working and replaced it with an Autozone one (until my car overheated, blew the headgaskets and I wired the fan to come on manually). If I find it, I could mail it to you for research purposes.

I also got a really thick 1993 Thunderbird/Cougar repair manual, a Hanes 1989-1990 Manual and a Chiltons 1980s-1997 Thunderbird Manual. I’ll flip to the IRCM replay pages.

Last edited:
I have one or two that are busted. One during bench testing when I mistakenly hit the A/C clutch circuit (?) w/12v - would love to have it repaired if possible. I'll PM.

Pin-outs ok in this one?
attachment.php

If not, listing here: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...g-diagram-for-the-IRCM&highlight=ircm+diagram

-=-

This one has the A/C clutch relay:
attachment.php

-=-

You've seen this one, right? Lacks the A/C clutch relay.

Ken

Attachments

• 89_90_IRCM.jpg
    89_90_IRCM.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 136
Back