Replacing timing cover gasket

Pat DiPersia

SCCoA Admin
So I believe I have a leak at the timing cover gasket. Posted here and there on FB looking for some direction.

Wanted to open a thread to get some advice as I get close to putting things back together. Lots of questions, so anyone that can answer one or two would be appreciated!

Planning to replace water pump, oil pump, motor mounts, PS lines if I can get them, plugs and wires, any hoses, belts and sensors I can get. Most of this stuff is stock to 1994, so don't want to do it again if I can help it. Car has 65k on it for reference and is mostly stock. So for some of my questions -

- Should I mess with the timing chain and/or tensioner or anything else timing related?
- When installing the timing cover gasket (And water pump gasket?), I'm hearing I should install sealant; others say if I'm using the Ford OEM gaskets (Which I am) to leave them dry. Which is it? Obviously need sealant at the bottom of the timing cover. Any specific sealant?
- On the oil pump, just grabbing this from Rock Auto - any brands to stay away from? Any gaskets/seals I need that might not be included?
- Figured I'd do the front seal on the crank while in there - same deal - anything in particular from Rock Auto (Any to stay away from?)
- On the studs for the water pump/timing cover that go in to the block and need to be sealed - teflon tape?
- Anything I need to loctite (Or never seize?!)

Let me know if I'm missing anything. Appreciate the help! I'm sure I'll have more to ask! Searching through the forums has already been really helpful answering a bunch of questions I had.

At 65K, the timing chain and tensioner are probably fine. I would just do a visual inspection, and as long as they aren't excessively worn, leave them alone. I would also definitly leave the oil pump alone. I have literally never seen a stock 3.8 oil pump fail, regardless of mileage. I always use ultra-black for the oil pan and timing cover. Use a decent amount along the pan where the timing cover meets it, and 2 dabs right in the corners, and then just use a very light thin coat to glue the gasket to the timing cover to hold it in place before installing. Any name-brand seal should be fine; felpro, mahle, victor reinz, etc. Teflon tape is fine for bolts that go through into the water passage. I would use never-seize on all the other bolts. Anytime steel threads into aluminum, it will corrode over time, and never-seize helps mitigate that.

I'd leave the timing chain and tensioner alone, I doubt iit's bad. Some of the replacements aren't as good as OE anyways. On the oil pump I'd leave it be HOWEVER I would replace the rubber gasket that comes in the front timing kit for it, I have had one leak before. Pumps likely overkill my built motor still has the orginal OE pump.

I always go felpro gaskets...also I always cross ref Ebay, usually can get a free shipping offer that way and avoid rock autos shipping costs. Not going to be returned so Meh..

I always smear a light coat of black RTV on the timing cover gasket also for peace of mind.

Water pump use the Blue Glue ...everything else black RTV.

Personally I'd leave the power steering hoses alone. If you're replacing the mounts and they're fine likely overkill also.

-Tim

Thanks, Tim. Timing chain and tensioner look brand new, so I'm not messing around in there now that I have the cover off.

Good tip on the oil pump. Guess I'll leave that be. On the power steering lines, I'm really torn. They look like a major pain, but if I have everything apart. . .

Why blue glue on the water pump but black RTV on everything else?

Thanks, Tim. Timing chain and tensioner look brand new, so I'm not messing around in there now that I have the cover off.

Good tip on the oil pump. Guess I'll leave that be. On the power steering lines, I'm really torn. They look like a major pain, but if I have everything apart. . .

Why blue glue on the water pump but black RTV on everything else?

Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket Maker -
Category: Gasket Makers
A noncorrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone.

-Tim

Back