How Do I Remove This Steering Pump Bracket Nut?

FurryWrecker911

SCCoA Member
Chipping away slowly at replacing the head gaskets, and I'm trying to get the Outlet Pipe out now. According to the Haynes manual I need do undo 5 securing fasteners, replace the top bolt with a 6.5 inch long bolt, and slide the mount with the power steering pump and alternator forward. Easy sounding enough, but I can not for the life of me figure out how to get the center nut off. Standard socket gets stuck on the stud, deep well socket makes the socket wrench too long and hits the power steering pump bracket, and the box wrench is so flush against the mount that I can't put it in a position where I can turn it.

Manual says nothing about needing to pull the PS pulley off, and I have family suggesting different ideas as well. Nothing is really working as of yet, and from what I've read on the forums it sounds like buying a pulley puller and getting it off/on is going to be a pain in the butt. I don't even know which puller I'd need.

At any rate, here's a pic of what I'm dealing with:
IHateThisSuckerSoMuch.jpg

Any direction/advice is appreciated.

Yes, a PS pulley puller is your friend. I've had my pump out more than once and I'd not attempt the job without a proper puller/installer.

Buy the one from Harbor Freight, but be careful to use it correctly, or, borrow the one from AutoZone. You'll need to remove the interooler, of course. Then remove the pulley, then the bridge bracket to the water pump, then enjoy easier access to the other pump bolts, being sure to get the one further inside the accy. bracket.

Have you tied reaching it with a swivel and whatever size deep well socket, but going in from the underside of the bracket? I got mine off like that. I tried the HF puller, but could not break the pulley loose. Maybe I didn't have enough umff behind it. :-(

Buy the one from Harbor Freight, but be careful to use it correctly, or, borrow the one from AutoZone. You'll need to remove the interooler, of course. Then remove the pulley, then the bridge bracket to the water pump, then enjoy easier access to the other pump bolts, being sure to get the one further inside the accy. bracket.

I watched a few tutorials and it seems simple enough. I got the IC out already from removing the Inlet pipe so there's plenty of room. I'll soak it in PB for a day before going after it to increase my success chance. I just wonder if I can get my impact in there...

Have you tied reaching it with a swivel and whatever size deep well socket, but going in from the underside of the bracket?

I considered it, but I had troubles lifting it up in my tight garage, and it's going to be an adventure snaking it up from the bottom. I tried a swivel joint, but the angle it came out the bracket at was darn near 70°. I didn't force it. Might pick up some half deep sockets and a puller at the same time and see which one wins first. My deep well sockets are just too long for the space.

I just wonder if I can get my impact in there...

While it may require some umpff to get it moving, I would avoid the brute strength of an impact on the puller. Just use some long open end wrenches, some Armstrong sauce, and be sure they fit well so they don't slip.

Not being careful risks damaging the pulley...going on is when that usually happens, tho, I think. Replacement pulleys aren't cheap, if you can find one.

I doubt a penetrant will make much difference, and it might encourage the tool collars to slip, so...just be sure the neck on the pulley is clean and square and the tool fits properly The press fit is very very snug, usually, not rusty. In my experience, the AZ loaner puller/installer fits better.

Whether you use the same pump going back together or a new/rebuilt, check that the threads in the end of the shaft the installer uses are clean and the reach is to the bottom. Check which installer screw fits properly before putting any pump back into the car. If the puller screw isn't screwed in far enough/gently bottomed if possible, you can yank it out during pulley installation and lose/damage enuf threads to be able try again.

Do not use an impact to install. You'll need to check the depth as you go..take small whacks at it. Take photos before removing the pulley, or at least make a note about if the pulley flange sits flush with the end of the shaft so you can re-align when installing.

Last edited:
Back