Stereo/electrical malfunction

Garym

My 94SC has the Premium Sound, JBL system with the trunk mounted CD changer. Has anyone experienced the radio randomly shutting off while driving, or when changing stations, adjusting volume, or switching on the headlights, and the eventual problem has NOT been in the radio chassis? Once its off it won't allow you to power it back up, mostly not working again until the next day or 3. This has been a long time issue that I leave and then come back to. A few years back I sent the radio to Paul Protos but he said it bench tested ok and we didn't do any repairs on it. I've verified that I have a minimum 10 volts ( mine is 11) on circuit 137 per the shop manual pinpoint test and I have ground continuity. I have also changed out the FPAN fuse in the high voltage box as well as the fuse panel fuse, even though both looked ok. Do we think the radio is playing tricks or does anyone know of something else? Thanks.

UPDATE-
Made the time to research some old posts on this site and found the info that the CD player can cause problems with this system. I'll follow the instructions to jumper the CD player and see if that lets the radio work. I've also read that we haven't had recent contact with Paul Protos. I hope if someone does hear that they will let us know.

UPDATE 2-
I used the special jumper socket that plugs into the back of the head unit where the CD connection would normally go. The info I have says that should let the radio work if everything else is OK. It didn't work for me. When I get some time I will verify 12 volts in the memory circuit and/or reinsert the CD connector to the HU and then jumper it at the CD end of the cable.

Last edited:
Back