Dip stick tube removal

blue-94

94 SC all stock
How does the dip stick tube be removed.
Does it just pull out?
Any tricks?

There should be a tab welded to the tube, a few inches from the top, that is bolted to the rear-most stud on the front cylinder exhaust manifold. Once the tab is free, there is about an inch of tube that is pushed into a hole in the block, yes, pulls out, basically.

I found it easier to deal with when doing the heads, but that's hardly a reasonable solution if all you're after is the tube - not a lot of room to work otherwise...that tab is on the same stud as one of the heater tube tabs, as shown in the included image. The weld for the tab to the tube can be fragile, so be careful. Also, be sure the tab alignment against the manifold/on the stud is correct before you sink the lower end of the tube into the block. You don't want to be twisting/bending that bracket on the tube to get it to sit properly.

I use a blunt punch to gently drive the tube into the block, tapping on the either rib, with black RTV to seal it up. Coat the outside of the end of the tube, then put it in the hole and leave it alone.

PlugWiresDipstick.png

Last edited:
Thanks

I have the exhaust manifold off now. The tube is in the way + I don't want to break it. I was just hoping there was so kinda trick to get it out. I can get the head off with it there.

Thanks for your time

Dave

There should be a tab welded to the tube, a few inches from the top, that is bolted to the rear-most stud on the front cylinder exhaust manifold. Once the tab is free, there is about an inch of tube that is pushed into a hole in the block.

I found it easier to deal with when doing the heads, but that's hardly a reasonable solution if all you're after is the tube - not a lot of room to work otherwise...that tab is on the same stud as one of the heater tube tabs, as shown in the included image. The weld for the tab to the tube can be fragile, so be careful. Also, be sure the tab alignment against the manifold/on the stud is correct before you sink the lower end of the tube into the block. You don't want to be twisting/bending that bracket on the tube to get it to sit properly.

I use a blunt punch to gently drive the tube into the block, tapping on the either rib, with black RTV to seal it up. Coat the outside of the end of the tube, then put it in the hole and leave it alone.

View attachment 70884

was just hoping there was so kinda trick to get it out

It's just a press fit into the block - slight twist and pull. Never had to fight one coming out, but I can imagine it being tight.

Depending on access where the tube meets the block, you could maybe grab it gently with a pair of pliers/small needle-nose vice grips a the base, under the higher rib, and twist/pull while tapping on the pliers from below with a small hammer, etc. Obvious risks, I'm sure you know, are deforming the tube, or breaking it off, so be careful and take your time.

Good luck.

Ken

Back