Exhaust round 3

davec73

SCCoA Member
Well its been a while! I havnt really done much to my car since i got the 4.2 installed. Chris vining has been helping me tune it for the past few months and all of the sudden it started making strange noises at various rpms. I took it to church last sunday and got in 6th gear and holy drone lol! Well when i got back home i looked under the car and sure enough you could see the borla x pipe muffler moving in and out!
I am taking it to my exhaust guy tomorrow to have the old borla removed and the new one put in. While im at it im adding stainless metal core high flow cats and 2 borla pro xs mufflers in the back to make it the way i wanted it initially. I will post pics and a video of it running tomorrow.

Cats at your power level. Too much heat to have a reliable one not fall apart and clog doing additional damage to the engine. You will need to pay top dollar for better smells inside the garage. I don’t trust them.

Is your exhaust solidly installed or are there rubber hangers like OE. Solid ones or near solid will bust the welds on the resonator from all the tugging from the motor twisting pulling.

Cats at your power level. Too much heat to have a reliable one not fall apart and clog doing additional damage to the engine. You will need to pay top dollar for better smells inside the garage. I don’t trust them.

Is your exhaust solidly installed or are there rubber hangers like OE. Solid ones or near solid will bust the welds on the resonator from all the tugging from the motor twisting pulling.

They are stock rubber. Its not nicer smells in the garage, its not smelling like a gas tank every time i drive it. I literally dont drive the car as much because of it. I bought high dollar magnaflow metal core cats that im installing side by side going in to the resenator.

They are stock rubber. Its not nicer smells in the garage, its not smelling like a gas tank every time i drive it. I literally dont drive the car as much because of it. I bought high dollar magnaflow metal core cats that im installing side by side going in to the resenator.

You got some work to do on the tune, after tuning for drivability I fixed a good portion of the stink from the pipes, the car now burns pretty cleanly and smell is not bad at all. Cats are ok for most SC owners and help with drone a lot, but the core insulation likes to come undone on high HP cars and then the cores like to bounce around either clogging or if you are lucky just falling apart and end up out the tail pipes, I ran a set on my car for a long time before the twin screw, For me just don’t want More reliability issues especially since it’s hard to inspect when they fail.

My kids and Mother Earth will thank you tho.

You got some work to do on the tune, after tuning for drivability I fixed a good portion of the stink from the pipes, the car now burns pretty cleanly and smell is not bad at all. Cats are ok for most SC owners and help with drone a lot, but the core insulation likes to come undone on high HP cars and then the cores like to bounce around either clogging or if you are lucky just falling apart and end up out the tail pipes, I ran a set on my car for a long time before the twin screw, For me just don’t want More reliability issues especially since it’s hard to inspect when they fail.

My kids and Mother Earth will thank you tho.
My car is nearly spot on at idle and still smwlls awful not anymore though it now has cats.

Full borla with catalytic converters

Got it in and out of the shop in about 2 hours. My other borla was in bad shape. I added metal core high flow magnaflow cats behind the vbands off the headers, Borla pro xs dual 2.5 in out x pipe muffler and 2 single in/out borla pro xs mufflers out back with new smaller chrome turn downs. It sounds great has 0 exhaust leaks and i can let the car sit in the garage running and has 0 fuel smell. Im beyond happy with it!
Here comes the crazy part, i knew i still smelled fuel but it wasnt exhaust. I tracked down a small leak at my surge tank that i have to fix and all my idor problems should be behind me!

Attachments

• 20200714_121109.jpg
    20200714_121109.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 168
  • 20200714_121128.jpg
    20200714_121128.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 183
  • 20200714_124345.jpg
    20200714_124345.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 172
Dave, your car is bad azz but way too complicated for me. You have so much stuff on it that it seems like something is always having issues. My philosophy is the KISS method which keeps the issues to be nonexistent or minimal...........but I do love your car.

Dave, your car is bad azz but way too complicated for me. You have so much stuff on it that it seems like something is always having issues. My philosophy is the KISS method which keeps the issues to be nonexistent or minimal...........but I do love your car.
Yeah keith its is and its not. The fuel system is complicated and i dont really care for it much. The interior upgrades were done right so its no more complicated than any other sc. The suspension is coilover which is the most uncomplicated suspension ive had. The t56 is finally cometely lined out and works jyst as it should. I just wish there was an in tank solution for my fuel system because the surge tank setup has been nothing but a headache. Its as if ford designed it and it came on the car stock lol.

Y I just wish there was an in tank solution for my fuel system because the surge tank setup has been nothing but a headache.

Well there is a solution, not in tank, but you have to sacrifice some trunk space................:rolleyes::D:D

Attachments

• fuel cell pics 11 001.JPG
    fuel cell pics 11 001.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 129
  • fuel cell pics 10 015.JPG
    fuel cell pics 10 015.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 131
Walbro makes a 525 lph in tank e85 pump now which is the route i will likely take. I have a custom made subwoofer where your cell is lol

Back