When was the change over (general info)?

steeler80

I had an '89 Super Coupe a while back but everything that could go wrong on it did (harmonic balancer taking out the crank sensor, typical Teves II issues, etc., etc.) and I got disgusted and sold it. However, I have ended up missing it as it was a ton of fun to drive when it ran. I have found another Super Coupe near me (this one is a '93--unfortunately an auto, but can't have everything) that looks in very nice condition and I am very tempted. Am I correct that the breaking system was switched between the '92 and '93 models? What about the harmonic balancer? Am I remembering correctly that it was originally a two-piece affair and they switched to a one-piece unit? I have another car that am working on ('95 BMW 530i) that is in good mechanical shape but needs help cosmetically. I am very tempted to sell the Bimmer and get the Super Coupe, but I'm wanting to make sure what I'm getting myself into again. Thanks!

I had an '89 Super Coupe a while back but everything that could go wrong on it did (harmonic balancer taking out the crank sensor, typical Teves II issues, etc., etc.) and I got disgusted and sold it. However, I have ended up missing it as it was a ton of fun to drive when it ran. I have found another Super Coupe near me (this one is a '93--unfortunately an auto, but can't have everything) that looks in very nice condition and I am very tempted. Am I correct that the breaking system was switched between the '92 and '93 models? What about the harmonic balancer? Am I remembering correctly that it was originally a two-piece affair and they switched to a one-piece unit? I have another car that am working on ('95 BMW 530i) that is in good mechanical shape but needs help cosmetically. I am very tempted to sell the Bimmer and get the Super Coupe, but I'm wanting to make sure what I'm getting myself into again. Thanks!

93 had the new braking system. And in 94 they changed the balancer but not necessarily for better durability more for different electronics. Both will fail in due time as the rubber is hard at this age. You will find cheaper aftermarket replacements for the 93 down. The 94 up will need a some modification to fit from another application. Then of course you have BhJ as an option on on either car. These balancers should be replaced if original. It does not forgive as you found out.

Back