Exaust Manifold Gasket Question - stock manifold

psychicmechanic

Dumb question and I should know this. When I took the engine apart a month or two ago Im pretty sure I remember there being no exhaust manifold gaskets on the factory exhaust manifolds.

I have the exhaust manifold machined and now that I'm going back together there are manifold gaskets in the top end kit, but if I remember I had these engines go back together with no gaskets?

So the question is: use the exhaust manifold gaskets or throw them out and go with just the metal-on-metal fit like I've seen many engines do.

The way I understand it, is that the factory didn't use exhaust manifold gaskets, but the boys recommend them if you're in that far. I used them when I did my heads back in 2018, and have had no issues so far.

I just bought another pair (Fel-Pro) so I have a fresh one when I get around to 'upgrading' the pass. manifold from early to late, which I wish I'd done when it was down, but oh well.

Ken

I sanity checked the manifolds for crackage & warpage before re-installing, of course. I'm sure you've already done that.

The fel-pros are two-bolt drop in, which is nice. No fishing & finger-crossing.

Plan on firing it soon?

Did you RA20 the heads?

Last edited:
I spent today getting together stuff I should have gotten together already: oil, supercharger oil, coolant, bypass coolant hoses. Couple odds and ends. Cleaned up the garage a little. Dumped fresh oil down my shoe.

ARP top and bottom, stage 2 comp cam, 10% pully and some goodies from the rockstars at Super Coupe Performance. Machine shop did the crank, rods, shaved the heads and exh manifolds.

The car budget got tight before I could do much more than the basics with the heads so that will come later.

Prime and fire tomorrow though if everything goes well.

~Psychic~

Last edited:
I've got a shop in Silverton that can RA20 finish the heads. $75 ea., while you wait. Found him thru my pharmacist ;)

I called around to shops in Portland, and they all complained about being booked for weeks, yadayada, like they didn't want the business, so...

Good luck!

Last edited:
You know the coolant pipe that brackets onto to the passenger side exhaust manifold?

Yeah that thing was a Pain in the @#$ - so I chopped it off - life is so much easier now. Tie straps FTW.

Just need to install the accessory brackets and bolt some pipes and things back on. Prime and fire.

Had to stop because of the wind and smoke up here in PDX.

Ken, I hope all is ok down there in Silverton and that you and your family are safe.

All the smoke coming from down south has me worried about you guys down there.

~Psychic~

Guess I got lucky w/that pipe on mine. I'd hate life if it needed replacing, tho. I sent a spare ABS pump motor out for overhaul and it should be in today...no rush to install it the way things are outside.

I'm 10 minutes direct west of Mt. Angel, Silverton, in north Salem, right on the city boundary, a mile off I5. Seems more ash in the air today, not so windy. Dark angry orange sky continues. You can smell the smoke indoors. Lights that usually only come on at night haven't gone off for 3 days now. The light is so poor, one of my security cameras is using night vision. Visibility is slightly improved today, it was terrible Mon. & Tues. At least the winds calmed down around here.

IMG_1280.jpeg

Streets, porches, gardens, vehicles are all slowly being dirtied in ash and debris (SC has car cover, took this photo an hour ago, and that is not an orange filter):
IMG_1285.jpeg

Lost shingles off the roof on Monday, but in no hurry to get up there and repair with conditions like they are.

I'm safe for the time being, I think. I live in a senior community and some of my neighbors can't even open the door for worry over the air quality - some are still out walking their dogs.

As long as the power doesn't go out we can stay put. My brother lives in Portland/Multnomah Village. Not sure where people around here would evacuate to. Can't go to the coast, Lincoln City is still cleaning up from the high winds. I guess people from Silverton & Stayton etc. have pretty much filled up the fairgrounds here in Salem.

Thanks for the concern ;), you be safe too.

Last edited:
Back