Sawing machine sounds.

ricardoa1

Before I part this cancer of a car, I’d like to remain calm and definitively check my brain and senses because I swear I am loosing it or maybe I just know the car too well. Here we go, so my car has been quieter with the new muffler and I went through several gaskets to get rid of an exhaust leak in the long tubes. I know what a header leak sounds like and I had one and it’s typically during acceleration that that particular pulsating noise is present. Well recently the engine has a mechanical sewing machine sound, sorta like a locomotive chug pulsation. I had wound it up to 6000 rpms under part throttle about two weeks ago and I feel something happened since. But my senses might be fooling me and maybe it’s just long tube typical sounds. I just can’t wrap my head around it since I’m conflicted for the sound to be normal. Car still has power, idle seems to have a different soundtrack like pulsation of a misfire, but there are no misfires anymore. The sewing machine noise seems to be more present on the drivers side. Any thoughts? Lifters are not adjustable. Did I bend pushrods? Lose rockers? Is it normal? Car drives similar, But I feel something is wrong.

Going to the schedule a shrink appt for my lunacy. Any frustrated SC owners want to join? Might be cheaper as a group.

Last edited:
Update.
Changed the oil, did 40 weight I was running 30w, I had done it at the start of the summer, car sounds back to what I am used to. Not sure if the oil was thinned out. It was a quart or so low aswell. I wish this car had oil life and level sensors. Thanks for listening. Still a sewing machine but long tubes appropriate.

Last edited:
I know it's not fun or easy on a sc, but you should still pull the valve covers, do a little inspection, the car is modded and old enough that it's never going to be a "just drive it and change the oil every 3k" car.

Update.
Changed the oil, did 40 weight I was running 30w, I had done it at the start of the summer, car sounds back to what I am used to. Not sure if the oil was thinned out. It was a quart or so low aswell. I wish this car had oil life and level sensors. Thanks for listening. Still a saw machine but long tubes appropriate.

I know it's not fun or easy on a sc, but you should still pull the valve covers, do a little inspection, the car is modded and old enough that it's never going to be a "just drive it and change the oil every 3k" car.

I know. Just want to end the season with a running car. IÂ’ve put on a lot of miles this summer, trying to ensure the clutch is properly seated, and gone on many rallies to shows and meets and some have some distance, some hard miles this summer. I had a feeling something was not right since I am very keen on mechanical noises, it was gradual so I was getting accustomed as the miles piled on this last week, the oil pressure gauge had bleeped and I thought it was the malfunctioning sensor. I have the gauge mod with the real sensor but itÂ’s no longer a smooth sweep, the needle is sticky as it sweeps from idle to load. So Had stopped relying on it till I replaced the sensor. IÂ’ll pull the covers this winter to see if the pushrods still have good preload. Just glad it was something simple, not sure why I decided on 30w maybe hoping for better fuel economy and more HP, but I feel it doesnÂ’t give me enough headroom for thinning under extreme use and prevent any blow by vapors the boost might cause, add to that the Front cover has seepage where it meets the oil pan. Even the Kenne Bell needed retop, the front seal is leaking. ItÂ’s been my goal this year to take it to the road course track day and well the car has not cooperated and has taken the track money for its parts. Love and Hate it. Transmission needs an oil change with some modifier as third is sensitive to crunch if not timed right, I had retopped with Mercon when the synchromesh fluid all dumped on me during the clutch install. Not sure if that will fix it otherwise pulling the trans again for the 4th time this year. Getting to a point where the car is 100% mechanically is tough. I enjoy driving it not fixing it, being a pit crew mechanic, detailer, and driver all at the same time is hard.

Last edited:
Sorry your having issues. Matt and Danielle Haub just came over and kicked a gremlin out of my cars witing today. Took it for an easy spin and all is well in the universe again.

Ricardo,

Are you still using stock timing chain and tensioner ? Mine ran fine but was making a sewing machine sound and we found it had a broken tensioner and sloppy loose timing chain.

David

Ricardo,

Are you still using stock timing chain and tensioner ? Mine ran fine but was making a sewing machine sound and we found it had a broken tensioner and sloppy loose timing chain.

David

The main sewing machine sounds I was worried about went away after the oil change. But if I tackle the front cover leak this winter I will inspect that and likely replace. Lifter noise seems normal now, but it’s not a quiet engine by any means, so it’s hard to pinpoint abnormal engine noises. The exhaust pulses and the valves opening and closing making tin noises the at header is deceiving. The car kicked my butt this year and staying on top of failures is challenging, I’m picky and hate malfunctioning items, that’s why I’m not interested in the abuse the 1/4mile does to the car. Id love to pull a new personal best and beat my 12.2 but not sure it will be worth it if it means broken parts. The car is an absolute hit at the local car stuff. I try to make one every weekend. Some ppl walk right past it like it’s not even there, but those that stop and notice are super excited and will talk to me for minutes at a time, that offers some satisfaction, even if I’m limping home alot of times.

The main sewing machine sounds I was worried about went away after the oil change. But if I tackle the front cover leak this winter I will inspect that and likely replace. Lifter noise seems normal now, but it’s not a quiet engine by any means, so it’s hard to pinpoint abnormal engine noises. The exhaust pulses and the valves opening and closing making tin noises the at header is deceiving. The car kicked my butt this year and staying on top of failures is challenging, I’m picky and hate malfunctioning items, that’s why I’m not interested in the abuse the 1/4mile does to the car. Id love to pull a new personal best and beat my 12.2 but not sure it will be worth it if it means broken parts. The car is an absolute hit at the local car stuff. I try to make one every weekend. Some ppl walk right past it like it’s not even there, but those that stop and notice are super excited and will talk to me for minutes at a time, that offers some satisfaction, even if I’m limping home alot of times.

Don't really care about racing mine either and seriously thinking about selling my Bogarts and race tires.

David

The current motor in my car also ran great in Royers car but was also the victim of a tensioner failure. At this power level the double roller is really the way to go.

Back