Stunt Driving School and Big Decisions - Long Post

Rick_Leuce

Hello everyone,

Long read, but I think its worth saying.

I am considering taking a Bobby Ore stunt driving class at the Atlanta Motorsports Park. Its something I’ve thought about for a little over a year, and I think I would like to do it in a few months. It’s $1,000 for a single day, $2,000 for 2 days, or $3,000 for 3 days (each day builds on the last). From what I understand, if you want to become a professional stunt driver they expect you to take the 3 day course and maybe even one more $3,000 class in Florida (but passing the 3-day is required first). A part of me wants to try the $1,000 to see if this is the way I want to go, but if I do, I think I have to pay another $3,000 and retake the first day again. Its the safe option if I decide I suck at it and dont want to keep going, but I really think I want to become a professional stunt driver; for the sake of my own film which will require precision driving and perfect timing, as well as a potential job opportunity for after I film my series.

I own 3 Oxford White SCs: one hero car, one stunt double in progress, one backup that will be nice-looking but safe/fast enough for most stunts and up-close shots. 2 of them have had a headgasket change and one of them is almost problem-free, if you can believe it. I’ve spent (or wasted) too much brainpower and time planning this series to walk away without it haunting me for the rest of my life.

Without getting too personal, yet, I will say that I think that if Im going to take a risk (especially one as big as the one I’m gunning for), I think now is the time to do it. Im about to turn 27 and Im about to make some big decisions. Im embarrassed by the fact I keep saying a video is coming soon and it hasn’t; but I think I will upload some pod-cast style videos where I show you around the cars and explain what the story is about. I was too proud to spoil any big points, but I now realize there is so much substance that this project could die before it has a chance to take off if I dont let you guys know what I am up to. Im not telling you what happens in the series finale, but I may give you guys some spoilers of where I ultimately want this story to go to excite you and to draw in support. Its especially important for me to do it while there is strong support in the SCCoA and other MN12 clubs.

Please feel free to share your honest thoughts. More relevant info soon to come. I’m hopefully going to do a podcast talky-style Youtube video soon to clue you in with visuals (instead of just text). I’m holding back on some personal info at the moment so I dont make this post any more overwhelming than it already sort of is.

https://www.bobbyoresports.com/stunt-driving

Last edited:
If you're going to go for it, go for it. Do the 3 day course and commit to doing it well. Signing up for the 1 day course is setting yourself up for your psyche to talk you out of going further.

I also suggest do 3 days now rather than 1 now and 3 later. Just gives more room for excuse, doubt and life to creep in. Go big let life unfold from giving it your all rather than an entry effort.

As for the YouTube channel aspects...im currently filming the restoration of the 1995 SC I bought. Have learned quickly I hate being on camera, I ramble, know zero about editing and creating content thats worth watching. Also wife 2 kids and a very busy job make it difficult to stay on track. Like you have informed club members its coming but it's taking its sweet time. Ive repaired and restored a number of these cars but talking, being informative and working all seem like a jumbled idea once I try to execute things.

Don't be discouraged when a plan takes time to come together.

-Tim

If you're going to go for it, go for it. Do the 3 day course and commit to doing it well. Signing up for the 1 day course is setting yourself up for your psyche to talk you out of going further.

Thanks for the reply. You are probably right that if I were to take the 1 day class, I would probably find an excuse to not do the 3 day; especially since it would basically feel like I spent $4,000 on the 3 day.

I also suggest do 3 days now rather than 1 now and 3 later. Just gives more room for excuse, doubt and life to creep in. Go big let life unfold from giving it your all rather than an entry effort.

As for the YouTube channel aspects...im currently filming the restoration of the 1995 SC I bought. Have learned quickly I hate being on camera, I ramble, know zero about editing and creating content thats worth watching. Also wife 2 kids and a very busy job make it difficult to stay on track. Like you have informed club members its coming but it's taking its sweet time. Ive repaired and restored a number of these cars but talking, being informative and working all seem like a jumbled idea once I try to execute things.

Don't be discouraged when a plan takes time to come together.

-Tim

A part of me thought it might not be a terrible idea to do the 1-day; practice what I learn till I master it, then go back for the 3-day, but it might not be worth spending the extra $1,000 plus the possibility that I might talk myself out of going back.

I like talking, but I have no acting or filming experience. I think it might be a nice idea to do a pod-cast style video with the Thunderbirds I have to give the real-life backstory on the cars and what the fictional story is about. BTW, a lot of big ideas for this series have been coming to me in the past 6 months. It would be a shame to not film it, but it's pretty daunting. A part of me wants to surprise everyone with the twists and turns along the way, but I know that too many indie filmmakers do that, then your target audience has no idea whether or not they actually want to see your film. I may make a spoiler-free video and one with spoilers (there is so much to this story, that even with spoilers I think it would still be worth watching). Lots of symbolism, hidden references, and deep character development. Also lots of cool cars; not just the Supercoupe. Which I guess is a really good reason I should take that 3-day class.

I just wonder if the 1 day class is mostly in class and not alot of driving.

According to their website there is driving involved. Sliding 90s and 180s. Its unclear what exactly they teach you after day 1, but Im sure they build on it.

According to their website there is driving involved. Sliding 90s and 180s. Its unclear what exactly they teach you after day 1, but Im sure they build on it.

Me and my kids enjoy watching bass boosted car videos on YouTube. Videos last the duration if a music track. All they do is slide around most are filmed in Europe, I find it entertaining watching them slide around and doing rolling shots. I also imagine these kids have too much time on their hands or they actually are professional amateur film makers that have managed to capitalize on the ads. Anyhow if you don’t pull the large film off, you can start doing that sort of stuff first.

I am curious of your crew, how is camera vs driving vs acting. It sounds like you need a nice group of film friends to get traction. I surely can’t hold the camera and do car stunts. Hence you don’t see me doing much of anything on YouTube. Plus I end up rushing things just to upload it, ends up being pretty lame by today’s amateur youtubers standards.

Me and my kids enjoy watching bass boosted car videos on YouTube. Videos last the duration if a music track. All they do is slide around most are filmed in Europe, I find it entertaining watching them slide around and doing rolling shots. I also imagine these kids have too much time on their hands or they actually are professional amateur film makers that have managed to capitalize on the ads. Anyhow if you don’t pull the large film off, you can start doing that sort of stuff first.

I am curious of your crew, how is camera vs driving vs acting. It sounds like you need a nice group of film friends to get traction. I surely can’t hold the camera and do car stunts. Hence you don’t see me doing much of anything on YouTube. Plus I end up rushing things just to upload it, ends up being pretty lame by today’s amateur youtubers standards.

Hello,
I don’t actually have a crew, but I’ll need one. One perk to living an hour away from Atlanta is that there are whole online communities of indie filmmakers that live nearby. The drawback is that it would easily cost me $100 or more per person per day. I probably couldn't afford to hire more than 2 people per weekend. I have some interesting short videos in mind that shouldnt require more than my friend holding a camera.

I will say that these driving scenes I have in mind for the most part shouldnt require any fancy driving; but I got some that will. I know my car better than anyone and I want to know how far to safely push it. In the meantime, I’m trying to fix them up cosmetically so that I could do a short video of them soon.

On the bright side; Im taking this stunt driving course for my own benefit. Maybe in the long run, I could get a job doing this sort of thing. Not just the driving but some of the complimentary work that goes with the territory too. I currently work in a machine shop, so I plan on fabricating some camera mounts, custom brackets, and a bull bar for pit maneuvers.

I'll be down at South GA Motorsports Park in Adel, this weekend drag racing with some buddies. If you want to come down and see some good racing and maybe film our weekend for poops and giggles. We'll have plenty of food and drinks.

The race is No Mercy 11. You can find info here http://racedxp.com/

PS there'll likely be no MN12 tbirds involved but probably a few fox birds.

Last edited:
I'll be down at South GA Motorsports Park in Adel, this weekend drag racing with some buddies. If you want to come down and see some good racing and maybe film our weekend for poops and giggles. We'll have plenty of food and drinks.

The race is No Mercy 11. You can find info here http://racedxp.com/

PS there'll likely be no MN12 tbirds involved but probably a few fox birds.

Thats awesome. I really appreciate the offer, but it would be a 4-hour drive for me 1-way. I dont think Im going to make it.

I am planning on doing some work to my car and taking it to a local car show (last big one for the year). While my car is looking clean and nice, I was planning on filming a little something and having something to post to Youtube in the next few weeks.

Really happy to know there are a few Supercoupers left in Georgia. The last Supercoupers I met were trying to sell me their car.

Back