Best way to clean the M90 superchargers gears?

SCspeedster

Hello everyone! Can someone please tell me the best way to clean the m90 superchargers gears? I have a 2nd gen. supercharger and the inlet for my 93' Supercoupe and I was checking it out abit removing the top and inlet plenum and they are both dirty. The inside of the plenum I can scrape gunk off with fingernails and when I took the top off I noticed the gears had little pieces of dirt etc... between the gears. What have you experienced guys here used to clean those? Thank you

*Update* for those who research this.
I used purple degreaser on the supercharger top and plenum and hot water and a sponge, and the gunk kept coming out while scrubing it.. Those 2 are clean now and need to get more of that cleaner to clean the gears and casing tomorrow.

Unfortunately my gears on the supercharger have some flaking coming off.
Has anyone powder coated the supercharger gears? Sending them out to Supercoupe performance for recoating is alittle more then I can spend right now and was wondering what other options I have? I have been searching on the web and the only other option I see is the possibility of powdercoating but not sure if it will work ok? Help!
Thanks

Might want to talk to Charles @ magnum powers, here in Oregon. He specializes in our M90.

https://magnumpowers.com

I'd give him a call for advice/options/rebuilding/parts.

Not sure I'd rely on powdercoating for gears ;)

Ken

Last edited:
Hello, I called Magnumpowers and left a message. Either way it looks like its gonna be a expensive fix and that is alittle disappointing being I have had this 2nd gen. supercharger and was excited to put it on without it really costing me anything other then buying or making a egr block off plate for the intake plenum and the gaskets needed.
I have 1 more question, would it be ok to try and carefully peel the rest of the coating off the gears and then install the supercharger? Obviously I don't want the chipping flakes in my motor etc... I assume it won't be as efficient with all the coating off of course but probably more efficient then my 1st gen. supercharger right? Thanks again, Bill

Suggest you wait & ask Charles those questions, but, those gears (vs. the rotors) are isolated to the snout, and nothing from any parts in there can get into your motor. In the mean time, I wouldn't encourage further flaking by any means.

The 'gears' I'm talking about are on the left in this image:
attachment.php

If you're talking about the pair of rotors (towards the right), I still would not consider powdercoat.

As for 1st and 2nd gen, AFAIK, the snouts are interchangable.

About the gen 2 M90, I'm curious if you plan to swap injectors and/or use a tune?

Last edited:
Hello, I called Magnumpowers and left a message. Either way it looks like its gonna be a expensive fix and that is alittle disappointing being I have had this 2nd gen. supercharger and was excited to put it on without it really costing me anything other then buying or making a egr block off plate for the intake plenum and the gaskets needed.
I have 1 more question, would it be ok to try and carefully peel the rest of the coating off the gears and then install the supercharger? Obviously I don't want the chipping flakes in my motor etc... I assume it won't be as efficient with all the coating off of course but probably more efficient then my 1st gen. supercharger right? Thanks again, Bill

Assuming you are talking about the teflon coating flaking off the rotors. This is pretty common and it won't really hurt anything because the flakes are caught in the inter-cooler core. You can purchase another set of bare or coated rotors, but probably going to cost a lot more than you want to spend.

David

Yes the coating on the rotors not gears sorry.
At this point I am thinking to move forward and install this supercharger and hope flakes don't come off much more to keep the clearances correct (only alittle flaking going on so far) and if they do it sounds like it should be ok Thanks! . I wasn't thinking I was gonna have to get different injectors just yet, do you think I'll need to tune it after just a 2nd gen. supercharger swap?

Yes the coating on the rotors not gears sorry.
At this point I am thinking to move forward and install this supercharger and hope flakes don't come off much more to keep the clearances correct (only alittle flaking going on so far) and if they do it sounds like it should be ok Thanks! . I wasn't thinking I was gonna have to get different injectors just yet, do you think I'll need to tune it after just a 2nd gen. supercharger swap?

No, swapping to the late model supercharger does not require tuning.

David

I wasn't thinking I was gonna have to get different injectors just yet

Got it, thanks - I thought maybe you'd be in the market.

Good luck w/the swap, keep us posted on how it works out if you have the time to share, pls.

Ken

**update on swap**
And some detailed info.

But 1st I noticed a error on my last post stating I'm looking for "free" instead of "feel free to let me know". Lol

Ok so the supercharger swap went accordingly. Very happy with results and I did this in 3 steps.

1st I removed 1st gen. supercharger with the 10% o.d. pulley on it (no longer using pulley either) and installed 2nd gen. supercharger with its stock pulley and drove the car.
The results were as I was expecting. The car overall was alittle faster particularly over 3000 rpm.

2nd I removed the stock pulley from the 2nd gen. supercharger and installed the stock pulley from the 1st gen. supercharger.
Of course it was alittle quicker with this smaller pulley from the 1st gen. supercharger. I measured the outer diameter of both pulleys flush over the ribs with my caliber and the 1st gen. pulley is smaller by 4% compare to the 2nd gen. pulley.

3rd I regapped my spark plugs to .050. The car drove very strong and wanted to easily go in redline zone. I had them gapped to .040 after .045 was still giving me some detonation after originally installing the 10% od pulley on the 1st gen. supercharger.

I hope this helps anyone looking to do the same.

Thanks again and keep the SC Alive!

Back