Door ajar but no light

NateM

I just bought an 89 SC. When the passenger door is ajar everything works. When the drivers door is ajar it doesn't light up. But the seatbelt comes forward. And the door ajar light comes on. What could be the cause?

There's two switches; one for door ajar, one for the lights.

Check both of them (I'm not sure which one is which offhand, and don't have the 1989 EVTM so I can't check the actual wiring, nor do I have the 1989 FSM to verify the physical location.)

Ahem. That was a gentle nudge to pick up both; off eBay used if possible, or from here; from Bishko or Helm if necessary.

RwP

Thank you ralph. Ill look into this
Hey Nate,

Any luck figuring out the switch for the door ajar light on the dash? I have an '89 SC that the door ajar light stays illuminated even though the doors and interior lights are off.

The door ajar switches are near the door locks. They turn on the door-ajar light in the instrument cluster, activate their respective motorized seatbelts via the Passive Restraint Module, and signal the factory anti-theft module.

The door courtesy lamp switches are near the door hinges. The passenger-side switch turns on the courtesy lamps. The driver side switch is a double switch, with one switch turning on the courtesy lamps and the other switch triggering the Passive Restraint Module and the Warning Chime Module.

NateM, one half of your driver-side courtesy lamp switch might be bad.

tadrian2, you might have a bad door ajar switch on either side, which would also cause trouble for the motorized seatbelts in a non-Canadian car.

Back