Small Performance Mods for Stock 92 SC

Kevin92

I have a spare 94 block that is almost finished being rebuilt. I plan to use stock heads, cam, 92SC throttle body and stock 30# injectors. I want to get the supercharger rebuilt too. Would the engine run ok if I get the S porting for the supercharger, magnum powers supercharger top and a double intercooler? The person who sold me the car said it has a tune. The 3rd cat was also removed with a xpipe installed. I want a little extra power but I want my SC to be reliable. Thank you guys for all your help.

I have a spare 94 block that is almost finished being rebuilt. I plan to use stock heads, cam, 92SC throttle body and stock 30# injectors. I want to get the supercharger rebuilt too. Would the engine run ok if I get the S porting for the supercharger, magnum powers supercharger top and a double intercooler? The person who sold me the car said it has a tune. The 3rd cat was also removed with a xpipe installed. I want a little extra power but I want my SC to be reliable. Thank you guys for all your help.

If your building an engine I would contact David Dalke and get a mild cam upgrade. I beleive you can upgrade the cam a little without going with a chip and tuning but he could advise you better than me. The stock cam is pretty lazy

Ken

Use the cam from an early model (89-93) since you have it apart and use the a 94/5 blower with the 89-93 pulley. Those are the only things you can really do to a stock SC to make more power. Everything else is pretty much a waste of time.

So the stock 89-93 cam is better then the stock 94-94 cam? I thought they would be the same. Thank you XR7 Dave and Kenewagner!

I forgot to ask, does 90-93 manual SC's have the same cam as 89-93 auto SC's?

Interesting question. I look forward to one of the guru's answers to this one as well. The lore I've heard says the '89 5 speed cam was the "best", ie, most aggressive specs... I've saved a couple from cars that were too far gone to save 4 just this "upgrade" to an auto.

Adam

Ok so I had the 94/95 cam and the 90-93cam that I purchased from XR7 Dave taken to a machine shop to get mic'd(I think thats what its called). And the shop mechanic said something about the 90-93 cam had a bigger center line. He said the lift wasn't more or anything but the 90-93 cam was better for a supercharged application.

It's interesting that this has come up again. I just recently took the time to degree a few of the stock cores that I have laying around here and checked lift, timing, duration, and lobe separation on a few of the cams I have. The 94-5 cams are significantly shorter duration (175/185 deg). This was done to reduce idle emissions. Lift is the same through all years as Kevin said so you can't even tell them apart by that. Lobe separation angle on the 94-5 is 110 deg.

The early spec cams are closer to 185/195 duration and lsa is 112, with a few slight variations depending on auto/5spd/egr/non egr. But the differences are insignificant really. I found one that came from a reman engine, and that cam was probably a Sealed Power or Melling replacement and it was 190/200 on 112 lsa so it was a super desirable monster cam! LOL

I swapped a 95 engine into a 90 five speed and despite going to the late model blower I saw a significant loss of performance! I've had several sc and the 1990 five speed and auto performed much better when bone stock than the 93 auto and five speed I had.

The M5R2 ratios mean you really don't want more than 3.27 rear gears. That's what my car had when I bought it, and 3.27s may help on a relatively stock car. But after a certain level of mods, I think the 2.73s are actually better. My car was significantly quicker at the track after I swapped the original 2.73s back in.

My car is a auto, but I still want to keep stock 3.27's for better fuel economy. I still think my SC is pretty fast I just won a race against a BMW last night, it was dark so I don't know what kind.

Hello, for my '95 SC with the OEM camshaft, do you know where I can find the valve timing events, ie, intake valve opens at ? degrees before TDC; intake valve closes at ??? degrees after BDC and the same for the exhaust valves ? And the duration for both intake and exhaust cam lobes, I've seen where durations might be 175 degrees intake and 185 degrees exhaust. Also, the overlap? Thank-you very much.

The 3.73 gears and a 2600 stall converter will really help and are relatively easy then you get into the big money.

See XR-7 Daves response Feb 6 2021 above.
Hello, I did see his comment, but it doesn't answer my question. I need to find the valve timing events, ie, degrees before/after TDC/BDC when the lifter begins/ends moving. All old Ford engines had this info and cam specs usually provide it. Thanks.

It's interesting that this has come up again. I just recently took the time to degree a few of the stock cores that I have laying around here and checked lift, timing, duration, and lobe separation on a few of the cams I have. The 94-5 cams are significantly shorter duration (175/185 deg). This was done to reduce idle emissions. Lift is the same through all years as Kevin said so you can't even tell them apart by that. Lobe separation angle on the 94-5 is 110 deg.

The early spec cams are closer to 185/195 duration and lsa is 112, with a few slight variations depending on auto/5spd/egr/non egr. But the differences are insignificant really. I found one that came from a reman engine, and that cam was probably a Sealed Power or Melling replacement and it was 190/200 on 112 lsa so it was a super desirable monster cam! LOL
Hello, for my '95 SC with the OEM camshaft, do you know where I can find the valve timing events, ie, intake valve opens at ? degrees before TDC; intake valve closes at ??? degrees after BDC and the same for the exhaust valves ? And the duration for both intake and exhaust cam lobes, I've seen where durations might be 175 degrees intake and 185 degrees exhaust. Also, the overlap? Thank-you very much.

Back