Easy question!

I hope someone that reads this can tell me how much that the MAC Cold Air Induction system with the K&N Filter will help. (If any) What are the gains of this alone. My brother and I just installed one on his bone-stock 35th Anniversary with an AOD. We also removed the air-silencer.

He just left, and I could not tell him what HP gain he should have, but I guessed around 10HP.
dirtybirdie:confused:

I don't have a cold-air kit on my '89auto but I can tell you this much...

With the silencer & filter box removed, I installed a MKVIII 80mm & no air filter but the best I could get was 15.8's. I removed the passenger headlight & got a 15.56 ET. This was on the Texas coast in May, 90-92 degrees or so.

good luck,

'bird

That's pretty cool Wynn. I know where to find a Mark VIII in a local junkyard with one of those dual overhead cam 4.6 engines!:D
I may have to get my hands on that throttle body.
dirtybirdie

oops, my bad...

I should have mentioned that the 80mm is the MAF (not TB) from a MKVIII. I used a slightly (approx 10 degrees) bent piece of 3" pipe between it & the TB. To connect it all together I used a plumbing adapter to hook the MAF to the pipe & a small section of the original rubber intake tube to hook the pipe to the TB.

Sure would like to find a pipe for a Focus SOHC that's 3", I think it'd work very well. There's lots of 'em on eBay for $20-30 but no diameter is mentioned.

'bird

it ain't perdy but...

Attachments

• engine322f5.jpg
    engine322f5.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 201
I normally use a simpler setup for every day driving. In this pic, the stock rubber airbox connector & MAF are used with a 7" K&N. The filter has a 2" long section of 4" stainless pipe slipped inside & clamped. The other end of the 4" pipe fits perfectly into the airbox connector. Only mod was to trim about 1" off the TB end of the intake pipe.
It's not the best way to do things as far as racing goes because of underhood temps but I'm not super-concerned with them when it comes to puttin' around town. It'll do the job until I get a flange (4" aluminum pipe) welded onto the MKVIII MAF to hook the K&N to.

'bird

Attachments

• engine4116.jpg
    engine4116.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 166
and...

It didn't meet the reserve but I wound up gettin' the deal of the century on this 92/93 TB.

65mm?

'bird

2sz.jpg

Back