Radiator Replacement ???

Robert Kohlman

I noticed today that it appears that my radiator has developed a leak. I'm not sure how large it is and it seems to only do it when the car is running. It seems to be near the upper rows because I'm not seeing any fluid on the ground and I can hear a slight hiss and see where the steam is coming from. I noticed Friday that the car wouldn't warm up as usual so I figured I better check it out. That is when I noticed that the overflow tank was empty.

My questions are:

I found several sources for radiators for the SC with prices ranging from $189-$399. The least expensive that I found is from a company called radiator express. The most expensive that I found was from radiator.com and it is a Modine radiator for $399. This is not for a race car and the factory radiator has provided 130,000 miles of service. The funny thing is that I just had the entire system flushed and filled about 2,500 miles ago and I have never had a problem until now.

Should I try to have the radiator repaired or is it just best to put a new one in? I also thought about putting some Bars Stop-Leak in there but I have never tried it before.

Also, what are good replacement radiators. The radiator.com radiator is all metal and offers a life-time warranty. Do I need a radiator with or without the bracket? This is a question that a lot of sites ask. The radiators with the bracket seem to cost about $100 more.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Bob

This is for a 90 SC Automatic with air.

Last edited:
Mine had a pinhole leak on top, at the coolant hose. The previous owner had done a JB Weld job on it that just didn't cut it. Had a radiator shop rebuild it for about $60. Working fine, just need to tape it off and paint. I'd check with a good shop and see if it's repairable before replacing, but I'm not an expert.

Yeah, I bought my SC with the radiator in similar shape. I had about 3 leaks. My personal opinion, is when something is going wrong with a part, replace it. You may fix this one for say $60 but 2 months from now, is it still going to be fixed or are there going to be new holes developing. With the engine temps that our cars run under normal conditions, I'd replace it. Get an all aluminum radiator with the braket if you can. Mine did not come with the bracket but it wasn't all that hard to move over. I have to break the tack welds on the old radiator and drill new holes for the new one (it had bolts for the bracket). Until you get it fixed, make sure that you check it daily, when you drive it. We have enough head gasket problems as it is, without draining our coolant system and running the car! Ultimately, it is up to you which radiator you go with, or to fix the one that you have. I got a $160 generic replacement and it has worked great. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the replys. I think that I would just assume replace it as fix it because the part I hate is taking it apart and putting it back together. It looks like a pretty easy job compared to most on this car.

Thanks,

Bob

It was one of the first things that I did (mechanically speaking) besides regular maintenance. It took about 2 to 3 hours and I took my time. It is not a hard job at all.

if you buy a new one id check out CSF radiators. i bought one from the local radiator shop and it was only like $160 for an all metal one, brass and copper, which are better heat conductors than aluminum but they are much heavier. it also has a life time warranty and it came with a new ic bracket. if you arent worried about weight, ask your local shop about CSF. damn, i sound like a sales man or some thing.
AND THANK YOU TO WHO EVER IT WAS THAT ORIGIANLY SUGGESTED CSF TO ME.

CSF radiators? Do you know of any particular retailer that carries them? I agree that brass and copper are the best for long-term durability.

Thanks, Bob

your local radiator shop should be able to get you one. just ask them if they deal with CSF radiators. if they dont, ask someone else. it will probably take one day to have it shipped to the radiator shop.

Back