1990 sc

hockeydad2

just purchased a 1990 sc as a "small project" that needs some work. i have what seems like a basic question that i hope some 1990 owner can answer. (i also recently bought a 1993 from ebay that is very clean). the 1993 doesn't appear to be the same. the problem is the brakes, they feel VERY hard, like you have power brakes and the engine is off. i don't see a "normal" power brake reservoir by the master cylinder as most cars have and the 93 tbird has. i can't believe the previous a owner would have removed it. thanks for any help.

I have a 90 and a 95 SC. At some point the ABS was changed to a different unit. The units look totaly different as the newer models do not have an accumulator. I'm thinking that it was 92 or 93 that this change took place.

Ask this question on the Technical Forum as more people look there.

Bob

Bob,
First welcome to the club!
If your in the bay area you should come down to the Northern Cali. board and intro. your self the group. I would like to put you on the N/Cal list if your interested. There are guys are in your area that would be willing to come and take a look at it for you.

Now in answer to your guestion:
My wife and I have a 93-91 Scs. The master cylinders are different in those years. Your 90 has a ABS unit. A easy way to see if it is working is to turn the key on (Not Running) and listen for a whine from the ABS brake unit. If you don't here a whine (only last a 3 sec) then the elc. motor in the ABS is bad. You can get a whole unit a little cheaper in the classified board of this club.

Hope to hear from you in the N/Cal board.....

Kurt Sr

thank you bob and kurt sr for the replies, it sounds like i'am not suppose to have the power brake vacuum reservoir behind the master cyclinder, is that correct? i'am interested in being listed in the northern california board/club.

thanks, bob
p.s. my email is (zaldain@aol.com)

Hiya doin, I actually just got a 90 XR-7 about a month ago and ran into the exact same problem on the drive home from the dealer. You are right. There is no vacuum behind the master cylnder, it's a weird set up. You are going to have to excuse me because I do not know all of the technical stuff, I am just trying to remember what my mechanic told me and showed me. The brakes have their own vacuum or something like that. It looks like a black ball. The part is around $300. That's about what I remember. Sorry for the lack of information, but I am learning.

Welcome, but before you start spending on expensive accumulators, change the ABS Relay (pass side firewall, under the cowl, brown) it was about $20. and fixed mine when I had the exact same problem. If that doesn't fix it then look at the accumulator but prior remanufactoring sells them for under $100. Also try to find yourself a shop manual b/c most shops know nothing about these cars and that can end up costing you big money.
good luck

Back