Aftermarket Shift Knobs... What do you think

I kinda like the look of the original shifter and stearing wheel in my 94 the match with the wrapping they are in. Just my .02

Sc-Ya
Jayson

I know it's a little pricey, and I would definetely not pay that price for it. But thats the first one I've seen with the O/D button, and it looks cool, for sure. Maybe, if the price was cut in half, I would think about it. The stock shifter looks good enuff, especially with a black/red leather boot. Just wanted to see how you guys liked it!! Merry Christmas guys!

But the question is, can we change the Shift knob for our Autos? Mine is ugly and faded, and would like to change it, without using an entire different shifter. :confused:

Why did you look at one with the OD button? Our cars have the OD on the floor, not on the shifter. The button on our cars are for locking the shifter in place. At least that is how the 89 thru 91 AODs are. I'm not sure about the AODE, but I seriously doubt that it had the OD on the shifter itself.

Ok... what?

I totally did not understand what you just said.. My car defenitely has the Overdrive button on the shifter!

In late 92 or early 93 the auto transmission changed from an AOD to an AODE. The cheif difference being that the later is electronic. I have an 89 SC and had a 92 LX. Both had the same "shifter." There was not a button for the OD. The gear selector goes "P", "N", "(D)" (overdrive), "D" (Drive) and "1." I stated that I did no know how the newer shifters were. It could be that the 94 has the OD on the shifter itself. I just don't know and from just posting a reply, I couldn't see your signature to see what year you had. Now that I see you have a 94, the shifter is different from my shifter, but I don't know the details. Sorry for the confusion.

1989-1993 SC auto's were ALL AOD's. 1994+ is when the Thunderbird went to the 4R70W electronic transmission.

The AODE was never used in the Thunderbird platform. The cheif application for the AODE was in the 1994-1995 SN95 Mustang. The Mustang adapted the 4R70W in 1996 along with the 4.6L V8.

Back