how fast have you been in your sc???

• Thread starter kamikaze racing sc
  • Start date
Re: how fast have you been in your sc???

I ran out of numbers on my 90 XR7...so I would say it was at least 130 mph.

Only pic I have so far. This was halfway to Austin, right before I took the radiator out & had it rodded.

(180,000 miles on the ticker)

mvc-770fa6.jpg

'bird

damn your running a little hot in that pic, last time i saw that temp in my sc, the headgaskets were blown.

I have a 90 XR7 and the speedo stops at 120 actualy it stops when it hits the bottom of the bezzel. I had my friend's 2002 Z28 run with me and we hit 147mph before we ran out of enough "safe" road.

"Keep it pegged" :cool:

120 buried the speedo going to Black Rock Nevada
Must have ben 160mph wide open

passed up

4200 rpm in od. bone stock however fast that is. Black 91 SC pased me slowly in south western Missoura on US 60. Saw him about an hour later at Sonic. He said 5 spd are a little faster than AOD. but *&% fast anyway.
The car seemed a little light on its feet at that speed but a lot better than my 67 396 Chevelle SS at 6800 in high gear.

This was 6 yr ago and with only 85,000 on it. Now at 195,000 it's working harder at 120 mph and not so stable. Kinda like me. Still play baseball and softball but it takes me an hour to warm up and 2 days to recover!!!

still the best car made in the USA. (most expensive to operate too!!)

bentwings

I'm not too sure, but my speedo was past the 120 mark, and hung up on the bottom of the bezel. It's a 5 speed, but I have 245/50ZR16's on it, and never replaced the speedo gear. Either way I was flying! I was going by the cars traveling at the speed limit of 65 (that were more likely going at about 75) like the stripes in the road! It seemed like I had at least 2/3 of gas pedal left to go too!
Here's a pic of a speedo while traveling...it's not mine though...I don't know who it belongs to.....check out the odometer.....I guess he wanted to document the turn-over!
-Jeff

;)

93speedo.jpg

I personally only got it up to 110. I used to have a pic from Jason Marsh with his speedo up to 140mph on the highway from Dallas to OKC

The best way to figure the top speed is calculating it out using the rpms, your tire diameter, and gear ratio (please don't try to do the math while making the top-speed run !!), not the highly inaccurate factory speedo, even if you do have a 94 - 95 with the higher reading unit.

My best so far was last year, 4650 rpm in 5th with 3.27 ratio, works out to about 146 mph. Now that I have a raised top, better exhaust, and a pulley this year, it's time for another go. I want 150 mph ! :D Just have to get my rear fender lips trimmed a bit, my new slightly taller 18" tires occasionally rub just a touch on big dips in the road, especially at higher speed.

Oh ya, here's the formula :

rpm x loaded tire diameter / 336 x final drive ratio (rear gear ratio x 0.7 OD for auto trans, or x 0.75 for stick)

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

FAST.. OR NOT

ONLY HAD MINE TO 100 FOR NOW--- IT JUST EASED UP THERE SO GENTLY,, BARELY TOUCHING GAS TO KEEP IT THERE-- IT WAS ON I-35 GOING NORTH FROM SAN ANTONIO AREA... TOO MANY COPS, BUT THERE WAS SOMEONE WHOWAS AHEAD WITH A RADAR DETECTOR. CAR ONLY HAS K&N FILTER. ITS A 95 AUTO,, BUT I READ THAT THE 94-95 AUTOS HAVE GOVERNERS WHICH LIMIT THE SPEED TO 125--- THOSE BASTARDS!! BUT WHERE COULD I EVEN GO THAT FAST AROUND HERE W/O BEING CAUGHT BY A COP--

caps.gif

I've been to about 135, or at least that's what the motorcycle told me after we left the highway...my speedo used to stop at 120mph.

149mph top end in 5-speed stock

149mph top end in 5-speed stock. A friend of mine has a Viper RT/10 and we lined up on I-5 to see what my top end would be since I have a 120mph speedo, and his goes to 200mph. After about a minute, my bird topped out around 4800rpm in 5th. My buddy said it was just barely under 150. I thought the AODs had a electronic limiter at 120mph?

Got a bit more out of mine on Saturday night ... it's a holiday long weekend, so not as much traffic around. Went out about 2 a.m. on Sunday morning actually, to my favourite testing spot. Got 4600 rpm in 5th with my new, taller tires (255-45-18, 27.0" tall), so that works out to 150.72 mph !! WOOHOO, I broke 150 ! :D Guess the raised top, bigger rear section of the exhaust, and Jerry chip do help a bit. We'll see some dyno numbers next week, a bunch of the SCCoO guys are shceduled in at a Toronto area shop for this coming Wednesday night.

cheers
Ed N.

Using the Calc by Fred

I got the tach up to 3750 in my 5 speed. The calculation says 150.22 mph. Busy toasting a Probe GT.

I thought the calculation was...

Doesn't the top speed calculation go like this:

MPH = (RPM * TireDiameter)/[(TransRatio * AxleRatio) * 336]

For Instance
MPH = (4600RPM * 255)/[(3.27 * 8.8) * 336]
MPH = 1173000/(28.776 * 336)
MPH = 1173000/9668.736
MPH = 121.318

????

Not trying to pick on your calculation Ed (or that you didn't reach 150MPH) but you had all the available information to calculate. Is this calculation accurate or am I missing something? Just curious :)

150 in a 5 Speed

The 5 Speed has a 2.73 rather than a 3.27. I am using the calculation from Dr. Fred.

I have 225 60 16s on my car so I used 27.57 for the tire size.

3750 RPM * .002975 (Conversion) *27.57 (Tire Size) / (2.73) Manual Tranny * .75 (Axle Ratio) = 150.22

If this is wrong let me know. I'll be happy to recalc mine. Don't want to be blowing smoke on the board.

Happy Trails

Tim

Back