Thread: Which mufflers have the best "growl" sound?

Jim SC Guest

Which mufflers have the best "growl" sound?

with a resonator

Phil Kuhn Guest

Re: Which mufflers have the best "growl" sound?

Hmmm...I wonder which one I voted for.

Power Driver Guest

I voted "other" supper trapps are awesome! they use them on motorcycles, and are ADJUSTABLE. You can get any sound, "rice" to "big block"

tealsc Guest

I've always thought flowmasters sounds really good, maybe I'm biased cause I haven't heard many other kinda.Most of my friends have flowmaster 40 series.
    Kyle

SCGuru92 Guest

Your friends that have the flomasters, are they SC owners or are these other cars? The reason I ask is cause I had the flomasters on my SC with the stock pipes and no resonator, and I thought they sounded great. Now I have those same mufflers on with SCPI headers, hi-flo cats, dual 2 1/2" pipes with an h-pipe, and they sound awful under full throttle. At idle and under normal driving they sound spectacular. I cant convince people that its a V-6 under there until I drive away and get on it. I have the 40 series flos. Do you know of any other flomaster that would sound decent? Or any other muffler period. I'm sick of having to drive around keeping it under 3500 RPM.

thanks

cudaz101 Guest

SC-GURU

I have read here that the Borla is great for resination, it may be the answer to get the bass back and the rice out...I have 40Series Flowz too and dig'em, I have yet to do the Y pipe and ace the cats, now you have me contemplating what i am gonna do...

LOWFAT-SC

white91sc Guest

Terminator resonator Growls and pops when you back hard off the throttle, sweet sound with little drone. Stock sound with rear mufflers, throaty pretty loud sound without. How many more options could you want for $70? I noticed a decent performance gain too.

Adam Mullen
    The SC Kid

onequiksc Guest

The ones with dogs in them.( sorry , had to ).

Jason Marsh Guest

I've heard a lot of aftermarket mufflers on SC's and I would have to say the one that growl the most are "Cherry Bomb" VORTEX mufflers. These were on a car with gutted cats, 2.5" dual into single 3" glasspack into 2.5" dual witht he VORTEX mufflers out back. That thing GROWLS! Ask Dan Cullen he has that setup now, I couldn't take it anymore

BirdySC Guest

I just had the Flowmasters installed and I must say, I'm not impressed with the sound past 3000RPM just like what was mentioned.

I was told by a couple people that you may want to consider putting a straight through resonator back on the car and see how it sounds. Apparently it takes away that "whine" when you stomp on the pedal.

I used to have Flows on my V8 '86 Monte Carlo. Those mufflers were built for a V8. The sound was tremendous.

SCTBIRD Guest

Magnaflow all the way!!! They are str8 through design (unlike those SLOWmasters), perfect for forced induction, and have a real deep V8 like hum. Look for me at Carlisle with the Crimson red 94 with ported blower whine and a true dual magnaflow system and I'll show ya!

Bryan (co-founder of SCCoNJ)

-90 SC 5 speed 143k with original head gaskets!
    -94 SC 5 speed 93k with lots of mods!

jonroe Guest

Borla.

Good deep growl, no rice, no resonance.

Magnaflow

Magnaflow resonator and mufflers...deep v8 rumble, you'll never be mistaken for a ricer