Symptoms of a failing EGR

007_SuperCoupe

Just wanted to find out what the symptoms of a failing EGR is on our cars. I'm pulling the codes later this week, butin the meantime, I want to know what others have experienced. My symptoms include:

1-rough idle--dies without pressing on the accelerator and maintaining 1k rpm (in park or drive)
2-a 'surging' of the engine. Sometimes it's like something is holding it back
3-CE light that comes on and goes of at 25 to 35 mph respectively
4-an occasional 'pinging' noise from the pass side of the engine

All those lead a friend (mechanic) to believe that it is the EGR. In fact, he's put lunch on the line. :) He won't be able to pull the codes until the end of this week though.

Here's what I've done to the car: (related to this problem)
Plugs & Wires
New DIS
New O2 sensors
New PFE sensor

Not related: (I'm hoping)
'95 supercharger
1.73 roller rockers
resealed upper 1/2 of engine (Fel-Pro)
New radiator (stock style)
New HG and heads @ 30k miles (has 92k on it now)
New temp sending unit

Everything except the heads and HG were done within the last 9k miles. Just wanted to check with anyone else who has had EGR trouble to see if this sounds right.

Thanks

My experience with bad EGR valves in the past are as follows:

1) Rough Idle that may not happen all of the time.
2) Stalling when at idle. But again, not all of the time.
3) Check engine light that comes and goes.

Sometimes the car will even run fine and then "Bam" it happens again.

Symptoms + code will tell you where to start.

Just my .02 on the EGR

Bob

same here

Im having the same problem. I had ford replace my egr not too long about i'd say about a year ago. Troubling thing is that my computer gives me no codes. the previous post said wd-40 it.. but where ?

Never thought about the WD-40 thing. I did it this morning and it seems to have helped. It doesn't die at idle, but still idles just a little rough (mounts). Hopefully I have bought myself just a little more time until it needs to be replaced.

And I know about pulling the codes that way. It's just very cold here and I don't have a garage (yet). Top it off with poor circulation in my hands and that = very little work that I can actually do with my hands while I'm outside. Thurs of Fri I can get it into a heated garage...and have a scanner at my disposal. A couple days won't hurt. I hope...

blksc-- I just pulled the vacuum tube off and sprayed the WD-40 down the valve and after allowing the car to warm up it seemed to work. I don't have to keep on the gas when I'm at a stop.:) But I don't know how long of a fix it will be.

Come to think of it, when I bought the car this last June, I had the codes pulled and there was an EGR code there. After clearing them, it did not come back, but the PFE code did. So I had that fixed. EGR may not be too far off at all.

Thanks for the help!

You have to remember that the EGR valve runs exhaust gas through it, so after 10+ years it very easy for them to stick. If the WD-40 help that says the diaphragm inside isn't busted so you should be fine. You may want to pull it off and spray it some more inside. I hadn't thought about using the vaccum port either.

Back