Check engine light and cruise control

tigerknight

It's happened twice now:

Use Accel on cruise control to increase about 10-15mph. Let go and engine light pops on for about 15 seconds then turns off again.

Ideas?

95 SC Auto
completely stock

May I offer this? Run a KOEO and KOER test and see if any codes are stored. It sounds like after you have accelerated and returned to cruise mode, some component doesn't quite return to it's cruise state as fast as the EEC would like and a code gets kicked out. After a moment, the system returns to cruise mode and the EEC turns out the warning light. Just a thought.

Great :] just a couple things.

What the heck did you just say? And where would I go to do this?

Also (and I don't mean to sound like a cheap bastard :/ ) but how much should I expect to pay so I can go in ready rather than having to re-adjust my meager finances around a suddenly blow to the wallet?

LOL. sorry. tend to get technical at times.

When you hit ACCEL, certain parts of the cruise control system react to cause you to accelerate. When you've reached the speed you want, and you release ACCEL, those parts that made you accelerate go back to what they do when in cruise. It sounds like something isn't going back to cruise mode fast enough so the computer thinks a part is failing and a code gets kicked out and the CHECK ENGINE light comes on. If a code is stored, you can run the KOEO, or key on engine off, test and see if a code is stored. If you get no codes then, do a KOER, or key on engine running, test and see if you get any codes. Hopefully at some point you will have a code that tells you which part of the system isn't working right. Are you familiar with the KOEO and KOER tests?

Back