ABS Pump Motor, HELP!

David J

I was told today I need an ABS Pump Motor on my 1990 Super Coupe. Does anyone know how difficult that is to replace?
The mechanic at the shop where my car is said they do not do it. I have found the entire assembly on-line. Is that the best thing to do i.e. just replace the master cylinder etc. ?
I am in Memphis, TN. area. Thanks for any info. My phone # is 901-755-3617.

the ABS pump is fairly easy to replace. take off the actuator(black ball thing) look at the pump and there is a hex screw, take it out. there is a brake line fitting that goes to master cylinder from the pump, take this off. then push the pump assembly towards the drivers side fender to slide it off a shaft that is under there. don't forget to unplug everything. There are two plugs that need to be unplugged if I remember right. You can either try to find an n/a with ABS brakes in the junkyard or just get a hold of Sunny627/ djkerridge for the pump. Hope this helps...Bill

Couple of questions. Are you sure its the pump motor and not the pump motor relay? Did they apply power directly to the pump motor itself to determine if it was working? Did they check the relay fuse?

If it is bad, the most practical thing to do is to swap it out for a rebuilt unit. Many owners here have used prior remanufacturing for rebuilt Hydraulic Cntrol Units (HCU)s. They do an entire rebuild and test.. runs somewhere between $400-$500. You send yours in, they send you one back. The rebuild includes a new accumulator, whch they've also sold separately before.

Here's their link:

http://www.priorreman.com

If the motor is not bad, then the cost of a relay is about $20. You should replace the relay regardless considering that you have had problems.

Back