Idea on Intercoolers

007_SuperCoupe

I'm not sure if anyone has done this, or even thought about it, so here it goes. I have been plagued with how to get the benefits of a FMIC (with a removed AC condensor) without actually removing the AC. This thought pattern has taken me down a slightly different path for a quest for cooler intake temps. I first looked at other ICs to include shapes and mounting positions. My first thought was to have a short, but wide IC and mount it just below the radiator. Two benefits to that are fresh air reaching the IC and you don't clutter the front of your engine up as with the MP FMIC. And it is cheaper. I didn't stay with this though for long, as I wanted to add a cooling fan to the IC to increase efficiency. That led me to a horizontal IC. I like the concept of that as I can get a larger IC, still mount it below the AC condensor and radiator. It is big enough that I can mount multiple (2 or 3) IC fans (the 8" variety that pushes 800 cfm) on and still be well below the cost of a MP FMIC.

In my searching though, I ran across a company that makes an electrically cooled IC. Having some experience in engineering, I am aware that there are substances out there that when stimulated with an electrical current can get cold or hot. I am guessing that this IC design incorporates this technology. They advertise that at the flip of a switch, you can super chill your intake. They say that the core temp of the IC can reach 0*. They don't specify *F or *C, but either way, that is still cold. The downfall, of course, is the price starting at slightly higher than the MP FMIC. I am contacting the company today to get more info on this alternative. They don't have a web site, so searching the net won't work. I've already tried it!

Anyway, just a couple thoughts on ICs. Has anyone had experience with either? And do you think these are areas that could be looked into further? Sorry for the length! Any input and opinions are welcomed! Thanks.

Are you referring to Thermoelectric coolers (Peltizer modules)? If so look on the non tech forum for IC ideas I think it was.

JEff

I saw that post a while back. It is a similar idea, but different. There is no external container holding 'coolant.' It is all self contained in the IC itself. You simply switch the button and the core temp drops to -40*F! (I called them just a few minutes ago) The intake temp initially is 15* and then rises to approx 35*. It was designed specifically for the drag type races. I got information sent and I'll see what can be applied, if anything, to the SC. So long as the IC can stay at a mean temp of about 40* then I don't think that frost from condensation should be a problem. That is the only thing that I'm not sure about. But after talking to them, they seem interested in developing an IC for our applications. I think that I'd be doing most of the R&D to get it to fit with all the appropriate tubing and mounting brackets though. That is, if I decide to go with their product. I just have to find a place here that can do madrel bends...

I didn't get too detailed on the phone with him, but it is totally self contained. What he would sell me is the IC, power cables, power relay, temp guage and the switch for inside the car. It is a "charging" type system too. He says that he turns it on a few minutes before a race and for the first 1-3 seconds the air temp is at 15* and then rises to 35* or so for the remainder of the race. I asked about a compressor and the such, but he assured me that there isn't one. It is all electrical within the IC. And it is guaranteed that the IC under "normal" driving conditions reduces the intake temp to below ambient temp. "Guarantee" might be a strong word, but he told me that the IC would "keep" the intake temp down below ambient. But like I said, I didn't talk long with him. I simply requested literature on all the applications they have now (3 to be exact) with dimensions and tech data such as flow rate and pressure loss. Not sure though if those things have been tested, so I may not get any data in that area. As I get the info, I'll definately keep it posted here.

Do you have a website or something? As you know it takes power to make power I’ll be real interested to see how it works.

Jeff

No web site yet. Just a phone # as of now. E-mail me and I'll send you the # if you want to call them as well. They are located in NM, so it is Mountain Time if you're keeping track.

For those interested, this company has an ad in the current MM&FF magazine. I'll bring in the magazine and post the information about the "Killer Chiller". Starting cost is $1,500.

April issue. The add is towards the back (about 10 pages or so from the end). There is no platform for the SC yet, but with interest, I'm guessing that they will come up with something. Or one of us will help them out with the installation R&D. Hopefully by Thurs or Fri I'll get the info from them.

Yeah, but the MP FMIC even if it were 100% efficient, would only lower the intake temp to the ambient temp. And because it is tucked behind the condenser, the "ambient" temp cannot be achieved. I'd take 1500 to cool the intake to 35* any day over 1500 for the MP FMIC. But that is just my humble opinion. I won't pay 1500 though to get an intercooler that cools only to 10-20* above the ambient temp. Like I said though, that my $$ and that's how I'd spend it.

Yeah, but the MP FMIC even if it were 100% efficient, would only lower the intake temp to the ambient temp. And because it is tucked behind the condenser, the "ambient" temp cannot be achieved. I'd take 1500 to cool the intake to 35* any day over 1500 for the MP FMIC. But that is just my humble opinion. I won't pay 1500 though to get an intercooler that cools only to 10-20* above the ambient temp. Like I said though, that my $$ and that's how I'd spend it.

the difference is the MP cools the intake charge all of the time. It's always on, and always working. The idea you talked about only lasts a brief period, and then needs charging. If you are going for somthing like that, nitrous would be cheaper and just achieve intake temps just as cool.

The actual design is for drag racing, but has not been tested in an every drivability situation. It is always on in the regards that it functions as a regular air to air intercooler under normal driving conditions. I was told that it keeps the intake temps to below ambient. I'm not defending them, but merely stating what I was told. At the flip of a switch, it gets very cold. So, dollar for dollar, an IC that is just as efficient as the MP FMIC but can get the intake temps to 15* for races and it sells for the same rough price as the MP FMIC sound pretty good to me. You just turn on the super cold temps when you want to.

I'm not sure what kind of drain it will have on the electrical system, but I'm sure it will be somewhat significant. It may require the use of a larger alternator. I don't know that for sure yet. That is why I am getting the info from them.

sounds intresting, but as always the proof will make or break the product. It would have to be quite an efficient air to air intercooler to cool the car as much as the MP unit around town, I have my doubts about that. Keep us updated.

Oh, so its cooling is comparable to the Magnum Powers IC, and it cools when you flip the switch? That would be something to think about.

The $1599 price tag for this IC system is complete, just like the MP system. However, it is not for the SC. Of course, it is for the Mustang. Once a kit is developed, I'm sure that the price will remain around that $1600 price tag, for everything. There just has to be some R&D done to get the installation kit finalized. I'm confident that with enough interest from people who want to upgrade their SCs they will have a kit available.

There just has to be some R&D done to get the installation kit finalized.

And that is the problem....there just are not enough SCs on the road to justify the R&D cost and no matter how many people you get saying they would buy it...the majority of those people will dissapear when it's time to put the money down.

David

I don't expect every one to share my enthusiasm for products that are potential bolt-ons for our cars. The simple matter of fact is that this IC may very well work for ours cars. It may just be a simple project of a mounting bracket and tubing. Then again it may not be. I for one am always looking for applications that are already developed and can be adapted to our cars. Just because it is not designed specifically for our cars doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it. I will explore it in its entirety. If it works or not has yet to be seen. I'm keeping an optomistic view of it though. But hey, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The problem with silicon cooling devices is that it takes a huge amount of power to move the heat from one side of the plate to the other plate. And the hotter one side gets the harder it is to move the heat.

So they have efficiency issues, and I'm not sure how the electrical system could handle the load. Especially to provide those huge cooling capacities for a limited time.

Back