Anyone bought a car from canada,or sold one?

v8killr

I need som info please.
I'm trying to buy a car from the other side of the border,i went to the DMV and they told me all i need to make it legit is a title,bill of sale notorized,and the customs papers on the car.Has anyone on either side of the border sold or bought a car?If so how hard was it and what do i need to watch out for.I just want to go smoothly and don't need any surprises as i'm coming from nashville,TN and flying up to buffalo.They are going to meet me at the line and do the exchange there.He also is looking into what he has to do,we both know he has to have the car run through emmisions.Anyway any info would be great.
Thank you
David

Anyone?

As you can see from a few ads down i'm trying to buy mike's sc.He is located in canada.We are trying to make sure that we have everything covered,so if anyone out there could give any info that would be great.
Thanks again
David

Yes, help please.

As David said, we're just trying to get our ducks in a row as "go time" approaches and we want to make sure the transaction goes smooth as silk.

Not that hard to bring it across, I can give you a phone number of a customs agent in Montreal that can give you more information, I think he deals more with new vehicles but probably does a lot of used also. I don't think that I should post his information on the web but pm me and I will give you his phone number etc. We have used him at least once to export vehicles to the States.

pm or email buechine@hotmail.com

What has to be done ahead of time is that you have to get a sticker and/or a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car meets US EPA. Canadian cars do meet the regulations, but are not labeled as such. I had to do this when I brought down my XR7. It wasn't that hard, but it has to be done first or they won't let it accross the border.

SEAT BELTS

Did you have the problem with the seat belts?
What they are saying is since the seat belts don't latch automatically they don't meet the dot standards which i find is b.s concidering most cars don't have this anyway.Did you have this problem?

Who is "they"? Call the US customs at a border crossing. They will tell you exactly what is required for your particular car. They usually will want a VIN # so have it ready. I actually went there and they gave me a list of requirements for all cars up to the current year. In the case of my 1990 XR7, the requirements were CVSS and EPA. The CVSS sticker was already on the B-pillar in the door jam, and I got an EPA sticker and letter from Ford of Canada.

I find the US Customs at Sweetgrass, Montana to be most helpful and they are there 24/7. Get the number from information.

It has nothing to do with seatbelts. Period.

A few quick Q's

What is the CVSS sticker?
Do you remember what exactly this letter from Ford said?
Ford said that they would NOT do a letter of compliance for me because I do not have those motorized seat belts.
Yet, I hear of others bringing 1990 SC's from Canada to US with no problems.
I must be doing something wrong here . . .

The letter from Ford was only regarding the EPA. US Customs will accept the CVSS (Canadian Vehicle Safety Standards) for safety. It is a small round sticker on your lower drivers B pillar that says CVSS. You do not need to meet US DOT on the SC. It is different for different models (makes) and years. For example, my sister imported a Canadian Chrysler Lebaron, but they had to install air bags first.

I have found the US Customs to be most helpful on all of this. I called the border crossing and talked to them directly. I got the person's name, and documented everything. Then when I showed up at the border, I asked for his person. He remembered me from my phone calls and processed everything in a couple of minutes. Of course I was kinda lucky on that one.. :) I made sure to place the call on the same day and time of the week as I was expecting to cross the border. (I also asked when shift change was, and showed up at the end of the guy's shift so I knew he would be just wanting to go, and not want to have a hassle. :D It was MUCH better to work with the same person, because sometimes you can get an idiot who has an overgrown set of balls and they can be real ignorant if they want to be.

I've gotten all kinds of different responses from different officials. Some of them know their stuff, and some are just retards. It doesn' t help that the Customs doesn't report to the US Court system, so it's like you are in a foriegn country when you are in their "territory." It can be rather unnerving at times, but as long as they think they are in charge, they are usually pretty cool.

Good luck!

Back