Who will debate me on this non-SC topic about the NCAA???

I just get pissed about all this crap with NCAA rules and so forth. I BELIEVE THAT ALL COLLEGE ATHLETES SHOULD GET A DAMN PAY CHECK!:mad:
1) They should NOT get scholarships!
2) Scholarships should be reserved for others!
3) With proper rules and regulations this could really work a lot better for everyone.
4) More people could get an edjucation this way.
Where do all these millions, and millions of dollars go to that these athletes generate annually??? I know the colleges pocket all the money, but damn!

Let's debate this!:D
What are your opinions!
dirtybird91:confused:

I was on an athletic scholarship to a division I school so I can say that I am most gracious for them. My parents could have paid for my college but I know that it eased their burden quite a bit.

We were drug tested, had to keep our grades at a certain level and had to attend class when we were not on a trip or else ride the pine or get thrown off of the team.

Not all athletic programs at colleges are considered revenue generating programs. The big money comes from T.V. money and gate revenues. Usually only football and basketball generate any revenue and they have to support all of the non-revenue generating sports. Trust me, their are a lot of non-revenue generating sports.

In general I have to say that I would rather watch college sports than professional sports anymore because of the over paid cry babies. Most of them aren't intelligent enough to make anywhere near what they are making in the real business world.

I personally know several professional atheletes so I hate to generalize because like anything there are many exceptions. I have some friends from college that make seven figures doing what they love and others that think that it is owed to them.

Salaries are for Professionals not Amateurs.

Just my .02, Bob :D

Bob

I must agree with what you are stating here for the most part, but I think that the old saying "money talks and B.S. talks" plays a major role here. I think that some of these Div 1 athletes would work harder on grades if it meant "no pay". I think we would also see some more intense playoffs too!
DB91

nobody cares

I was hoping there was a new t-bird club called the ncaa,but realized just another not related post. Sorry thats the best debate i could come up with besides.........dont care,dont care, dont care

Attachments

• dscf0002 (2).jpg
    dscf0002 (2).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 163
I do see your point also. Many of the atheletes would not get into or could not ever afford college otherwise. Their payoff is supposed to be a great education. The atheletes that are not good enought to make it to the professional level generally don't benefit financially like their pro counterparts do when they leave college.

For most sports college is the minor leagues and only the best make it to the next level. Baseball is one of the exceptions where most of the Major Leaguers come straight out of high school into the farm systems.

I only had to get a 13 on the ACT because of my scholarship status as a student athelete. Granted I scored a 25 so I didn't have to worry about that. But I was around several others that barely squeaked in. If they were not atheletes they would not have been admitted to college because they did not meet the minimum requirements for admission.

I have to tell you that it is a good thing that I got my education while I was there becuase I didn't quite make the cut at the professional level.

Peace, Bob :p

To be honest, I've never even thought about this. However, I am a very opinionated person, so I'll form one just for arguement's sake. :D Here's my half-witted thoughts:

If you make the sports a job (getting paid=job) you shift the focus of going to college from education to going to playing sports, since it's the job. As a scholarship student, they can't have the sports without the education, so they are forced to win in both areas. This IS an educational institution, after all, so that should be the focus, THEN recruiting for pro sports, not before. These are kids going in, don't forget that. 18-21 or so is not someone, in most cases, that is ready to make all of their decisions. They need direction, which is provided by the scholarship system. That's also why so many pro atheletes credit a great college coach for busting on them and making them get the grades (or bought, in some cases ;)) to get where they are. Also, if you make it a job, you will run into everyday employment issues: equal opportunity, overtime, equal pay since they all start out at the same level, merit and cost of living pay raises, taxes, insurance, written/documented reprimands and, being college (read: state) employees (in most cases), it will not be easy to fire them. How soon would the college get sued over that one? The result would be selective hiring, not based on talent, but all other factors that are involved in running a business responsibly. Also, coaches, under pressure, would not have to see to the kids (yes, kids) education. That means perform or get out! Putting a kid under that stress means one thing: grades will suffer big time.

Want a salary? Get a job. Join an amateur league (and still need a job ;)). Want to get an education, since 95% of college atheletes don't go pro? Get a scholarship and don't put all your eggs in one basket. They're kids, they aren't ready. That wouldn't be the same as waiting tables, that would become an all encompassing job. Just think about how serious boosters and other fans are--very demanding, no excuses. These kids would be 21 year old burnouts and you'd see a LOT of dropouts that wouldn't have happened otherwise. From stress, and also because they had no way to go to college other than sports, and they knew they weren't getting the education they wanted and also know they can't go pro--so what's the point?

There's my best effort at devil's advocate, with my typical long windedness. Have at. :D

Last edited:
hmmmmm.....

Some good points JAFO, but I still think that this would be a better way to prepare them for the "real world".
I also heard that there is a college that is already trying to incorporate this method. I guess we can only wait to see what happens.:D :D :D
dirtybirdie91

Here's my input why college players should not get paid. I think almost every sports fan will agree, that college sports are much more exciting then professional sports, in terms of actual play. Professional sports build so much hype, thats why people like it. College players play to be seen by scouts, so they can hopefully get a chance to get paid in the Pro's. So college players play their A$$ off. Pro athletes are to scared to get hurt, cause that might cause them to get released or traded! College sports rule.. for one reason... because their playing for the love of the game, not for a paycheck! my .02

Re: Re: Who will debate me on this non-SC topic about the NCAA???

8ate8 said:
lol.. sorry.. hehe... :D
That is very funny considering that you used to refer to yourself as a "Dumb Iowa farm boy" LOL!!!!:D :D :D
DB91

Gotta agree with the Whip,good points. just like to add on the subject of the millions the players/teams/sporting programs generate, look at their facilities ! They spend a ton of cash to travel,hotels, equipment, cheerleaders implants:D :D workout rooms , trainers ,nutritionists , etc. The boosters pay for some stuff ( blue chips ) but the school is on the hook for all else. Sometimes i wish my daughters grade school had a sports program,third day of school rolls around and she already is dragging home the first fundraiser of the year,just so they can plant new trees around campus!! College players are already getting enough jack from their agents,i may be naive but doubt the players get a cut (or should for that matter) of the revenues their programs generate!!

not sure if this even makes .02

DB91 !!!!

It's all good !!! You come up with the right topics for said debates!
Roll on......

Jeff

Re: DB91 !!!!

JSC said:
It's all good !!! You come up with the right topics for said debates!
Roll on......

Jeff
Thanks Jeff, I just get pleasure out of mixing things up! I always start a good fight, and then run the hell off!:D :D :D
DB91

Re: Re: Re: Who will debate me on this non-SC topic about the NCAA???

dirtybird91 said:
That is very funny considering that you used to refer to yourself as a "Dumb Iowa farm boy" LOL!!!!:D :D :D
DB91

uhhh, i did? i've always lived in jersey.. oh well, guess they renamed part of central jersey a while ago from iowa to jersey ;)

Wait

There are only a hand full of players in the NCAA that will be rich!

Take NCAA football for example:
There is roughly 120 Division 1 schools in the country.
Size of teams vary from 100 to 150 players on the practice squad.
A team gets 85 total(I think)scholarships per team.
Out of the 12,000 to 15,000 Div.I players, Less than 1% of them will make it to the next level and will be able to support themselves.
(We are not even talking about Division 1a, II,III scholar athletes

The problem with sports is that the 1% that make it, alot of them get huge contracts and that is what we compare everything to.

Most of the money generated by Mens Football and Mens Basketball goes towards financing all of the other sports in the school.(So they say)

With that said, yes college athletes should get scholarships, most will not even phantom the idea of being a professional and use this time to get a well deserved education.(scholar athletes)

Not sure about the $$$

I'm not sure about directly handing D-1 athletes a check for their services, but perhaps the NCAA could eliminate the pressure they put on someone for accepting gifts from boosters?
D-1 programs routinely keep their athletes in training year round and this can cause financial hardship for some kids. If a booster wants to give a kid some shoes, a suit, a car or events tickets I don't see much wrong with that.

I'd like to keep DII and DIII the same as they are for some form purity (if there is any).
Certainly, most DII and DIII kids have to pass and graduate.

Also:
Title 9 is KILLING male college sports! Nothing against the ladies, but the NON money-making MALE sports like wrestling, fencing, lacrosse, soccer and baseballl should not suffer. Something needs to be done.
It's fine that the girls get an opportunity, but when many of their sporting events are played in front of half-full gymnasiums, where is the sanity?.

Boys football and basketball pays all the athletic departments bills.

Fact: Nearly half of all boys wrestling programs have been dropped because of Title 9.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who will debate me on this non-SC topic about the NCAA???

8ate8 said:
uhhh, i did? i've always lived in jersey.. oh well, guess they renamed part of central jersey a while ago from iowa to jersey ;)

LOL! You are right, I have the wrong dude 8ate8!:D
DB91

I think college sports should not even be on tv until the championship games are played.
I would also like to see pro baseball go on strike and stay on strike.

Back