Oil Filter

ENCDEI97

Just looking to get some input on what kind of Oil filter everyone is running. I am thinking of getting the new K&N but just wanted some input.

95 SC Auto

I always use the Motorcraft FL-400S. From what I've been told, Motorcraft makes some of the best oil filters out there. I also change the oil every 3000 miles and use Valvoline 5W30 All-Climate.

Last edited:
I take whatever Autozone has in stock.. Motorcraft, Bosch, Fram and go with the Ford recommended 5000 mile interval. Considering that I always change the filter when I change the oil, the filter just isn't on long enough for it to matter much, IMO.

I've stuck to the 5000 mile interval for 13 years.. and with over 160,000 miles, I still have no blow-by; no blue smoke; no oil flouled plugs.

Now certainly you can do better, but just to let everyone know, if you use some common sense, its not worth worrying about.

Also, the times I've seen significant engine wear, it has been due to EXTREME neglect of the oil.. I'm not talking about someone who lets the oil go to 5000 miles or even 10,000 miles, I'm talking about owners who NEVER change the oil or change it every 12,000 miles or less. That's how engines get ruined.

Motorcraft doesn't really "make" oil filters. Their filters are made by Purolator, and those are pretty good. Check out the Engine Oil Filter Study for more info about which oil filters are better and why.

For years I used Mobil 1 filters, which are supposed to be very good (and were cheap at K-mart!). Recently K-mart isn't selling them, so I've been using K&N, in part because the bolt head makes it really easy to put on and remove.

The difference in price between the best and worst filters is maybe $4-$5, so you might as well get a good one.

Fram sucks, they have no quality control on their assembly lines which is why autozone refused to carry their filters. We used to have a display of a fram filter cut open with no filter media inside. But now Autozone gave into demmand and started carrying them. Stay away from FRAM.

oil filter

NEVER use a fram filter on your worst enemy's car!....Buy a new one and cut it open and you'll see why, there's nothing in there! WIX or NAPA GOLD (identical filters, Wix makes the Napa Gold filters) are all i use on anything. I've seen vehicles with low oil pressure where the owner thinks he has major engine problems, and it turned out to be cause by the Fram filter collapsed inside (i've seen this more than once). Also i think 5000 miles is too long, i'd say more like 2500, 3000 max...

MAN! I had no idea that Fram sucks so bad. I just put one on my Bird like 3 weeks ago. Now i almost cant wait til my next oil change to get that bad boy off of there. By the way, Frams and the usual brands are running about $5.00 - $6.00 or so, right? And i think K&N is more like $10.00 or so, so how much are Motorcraft filters running?

about 3 bucks at Autozone. you need an FL400s. If anyone has a Wallmart supercenter you can get a mobil 1 oil change for 26bucks, filter and 6 quarts of oil, just watch them as they work and your ok... I think they use fram though so you will need to take you own filter. To me it is worth it since the Mobil 1 costs 26 to 28 dollars to buy just a case of 6. So you get the oil and get out of the hastle of doing it. Just watch them work

Back