Rebuild kit for 91 SC.

91BLOWNSC

Alright guys, I called my local parts store(s) today and they told me that they are unable to receive the rebuild kit for my SC. I was wondering if anyone knew where to get a set that would include like new rings, pistons, main bearings, and rod bearings (most of the internal parts, not the gaskets). The guy I talked to said there used to be a package offered but he could no longer find it. Obvioulsy I can buy them individually but I was looking for something more complete. I don't need anything overly expensive. I was hoping that it would be in the price range of about 300-400 dollars or so? My dilemma was that we need new pistons, so they can be measured, and then the block can be honed out accordingly. Supposidley I cannot use the stock pistons again because they do not know what to hone the cylinders out to........or can I?. So if anyone has did a mostly stock rebuild, please offer me some advice. Im hoping to get this thing back together within the next week or two. Also, is it around the same price to just get bigger pistons and have the cylinders honed out? I need some advice and maybe some sites that offer a kit for my car!! Thanks!

Unless they were damaged (bent broken ect..), your old pistons and rods can be re-used in the rebuild. I doubt you will find a rebuild set that includes new pistons that cheap anyway.

Be sure to get a new dampner with new bolt & washer.

David

Dave....

Well heres the thing dave, We looking at the speck book for the tolerance on the piston. And it seems that is only 1/2 thousandth of an inch. Were afraid that after we hone out the cylinders that the pistons will not fit anymore (they will be to small), and therefore would have to buy new ones anyways. My cylinders are in exceptional shape for 125k. So im hoping it would work. Are you implying that I will have no problem with the tolerance on them? Couple of other questions also besides that one, the guy told me that I should go with the cast iron rings and not the Chrome "molly" rings because those will not seat properly. Is this true? And what do you recommend? Oh and to your comment, 3 of my rods are bent :eek: (as you might already know) that i am going to be getting of chris wise. But besides that, thats all I have to get. The rest of them are in tip top shape. Thanks for the advice

Last edited:
I really can't answer your questions about the rings. I've heard that the molly rings tend to seal better but wear faster because they wipe away more of the oil film than stock rings do. I haven't heard anything about them being harder to seat.

Concerning the pistons, I suppose you will need to measure them and the cylinders to be sure, but nearly every SC engine I've seen taken apart still had the factory cross hatching in the cylinder bores and the pistons had no signs of rubbing except slightly on the ends of some of the skirts.I thought this was caused from piston slap when the engine was cold, but I'm not really sure.

If yours looks the same, I would assume you can get away with using a bottle brush type hone just enough to remove the glaze and reuse the pistons you have.

Again, I'm not an engine builder and these questions should be asked of someone more qualified to answer them. Someone like Steve Webb or Chris Wise.

David

Back