How much does it cost to transport a car?

TheNuthing

I have a black 1993 SC auto, but id really like a 5-spd. I love my car to death though, so I guess im just going to have to own 2. The going rate for an SC is around 5 or so, but how much does it cost to have a car transported? Im way over here in Cali on the west coast, and all the good cars I find are back east. Can anyone give me a general idea? Just a ballpark figure?

I had my first SC transported from PA to LA a couple of years ago. It cost $890.00.

If you do it, get a guarantee from the transport company that the car will available Immediately after coming into California. The truck that was transporting mine made stops in two other California cities and since the SC had been "In state" longer then ten days the DMV charged me this huge penalty, which I finally got the transport company to pay.

You've got to be careful when hiring one of these companies. You get what you pay for, so don't get cheap on it.

This place is supposed to be pretty good:
http://www.movinmusclecars.com/

Do NOT use Southerland Auto Transport. They may contract through other companies too, so be careful. I can put up a link to an ongoing story with them from another board if you want.

Thanks for the input. I guess I should figure around $800-$1000 then. Im not going to do anything real soon, I just wanted to know how much to plan on so I could save for it. Anyways, I guess its time to start saving for that 5-spd. Thanks...Later.

Get your hands on Hemmings Motor news

This is the Bible for cars,and in there will be a list of transport co.'s that do cars. You can sometimes find one that is already coming your way. This will get you a better price. Also if you can wait a bit you will be able to do better as well. I had a car picked up in your state and shipped here[Milw, Wisc] and it was $500 I told them that I was in no hurry for the car, it took two weeks,but I saved $300. You can also get some really cheap air tickets,maybe you fly and drive??? You can always jump in a truck and take a toll dolley with you. I just made a round trip to South Carolina to get a S.C. and it took 30 hours...cost $200 in fuel and $10 in tolls. So as you can see there are a lot of ways to get your new baby home when you do buy one. BUT I got to ask, why not a rust free car from your state or one that is a lot closer??? Rust is hell to fight,and not cheap either...Get something from the rust free belt, not from around here...Maybe that is why they are great deals??? half priced because you are only getting half the car.... something to think about.....Rich

Boy! Listen to these guys. I have had nothing but trouble from the 3 times I have had to use a car transport co. When I sold my Boss 302, it was going to Wisconsin. It sat in this auctioneer friend of mine's building for 2 weeks before it was even picked up!!! Several phone calls and finally got a "yeah they are picking it up tomorrow." Then it took 9 days to get there??? The buyer and I both were sure this car had been stolen and stripped. It finally arrived but not even where it was supposed to be delivered.

Bottom line: Don't be friendly, be firm. Get EVERYTHING in writing. Get dates, destinations, truck numbers if possible, and assume NOTHING. Get insurance. and mainly get tough. This industry has gone downhill so fast in the last 10 years it's pathetic. Auctioneers, collectors, dealerships, rebuilders, all know it's what they are stuck with and don't take any crap. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Good luck when you do it.

Get a copy of the vehicle condition report at the time they pick up the car too. The guy I was talking about got his car with a baseball sized dent in it. The driver falsified the condition report so it would look like it was there to begin with. They won't take care of the repair or let an insurance claim get filed on it. Not sure where he is on it now.

Just to adress the question, the reason that Im looking at cars so far away, is because in about 90% of the ads I see, the car is a minimum of 1500 miles away. Especially since I know exactly what I want, its hard to find, cuz if I get another bird, I want it in GOOD condition. Though I did just see one up in Washington that looks VERY promising....too bad I dont have the cash for it right now, but thats the story of my life.

Back