When putting car in reverse Grinds--5 Spd.

DGernmann

I did a search but not sure if this is the same or not, once in a while when I shift into reverse my shifter Grinds..

I have a 1994 5spd. As I said before it doesn't do it too often, all the other gears and stuff are fine, but its like a hard grind, and makes a noise.

Any ideas???

Thanks guys.

When's the last time you changed the clutch? My '89 SC was doing exactly the same thing, only in reverse. After I changed the clutch, slave and master cylinders, the problem was solved. It could also be something internal, like a blocker or a gear, especially if it only does it in one particular slot. :confused:
Hopefully someone else will chime in on this one.

i think with the t-5's and t-9's from ford all grind (or most at least) when going into reverse. my t-9 does (in my Merkur) and so does my friends t-5 in his Cougar. try shifting into 5th right before you put it into reverse and see if that cures it. doesnt have to be 5th its just thats the closest gear to reverse for you t-5 guys. hope this helps. later man

i agree with dk01 but we don't have t-5's in our cars we m5r2 mazda trannys. like wicked said your clutch could be on its way out. same thing happened to me. my rev would grind every time. i went into 1st then right down to rev and it always went into gear without a problem. good luck

The reverse gear synchro blocker is brass and can't slow down the gear enough if the gears are spinning from motion transfer through the clutch when the trans is in neutral. It is a very common occurance and I bet almost all of the 5 spds do it.

GRRRind!!!

Wicked SC said:
When's the last time you changed the clutch? My '89 SC was doing exactly the same thing, only in reverse. After I changed the clutch, slave and master cylinders, the problem was solved.

Just out of curiousity, What is the average going rate on a complete clutch, master and slave cylinder job? :confused:

I know it is difficult to say, but I would like to have an idea before I get taken to the cleanners. :eek:

Thanks

Here is a little tip that was in Hot Rod Magazine a long time ago. Before going into Reverse, always shift into fifth and then pull back into reverse, this will cure the problem for most 5 speeds every time.

Back