AirCon Shorter A/C Condensers

gldiii

SCCoA Lifetime Member
This is the condenser that Ford should have put on the SC! It is a 3-tube unit that is about 9” shorter than the stock unit and allows for full air flow to the intercooler. John Shelton is the guy to thank for originally getting one of these units made. I have been contacting AirCon for about 6 weeks to get them made again. AirCon had quit selling direct, due to some complaints from their distributors about pricing issues. Since this is a non-stock unit, AirCon has agreed to make these units and sell them direct again.

I have one of these units and it is a nice one. Some picture links are below. I have not installed mine, but John reported good cooling with his unit, even in hot Southern California. I had a shorter aftermarket condenser on my car that I had special fittings made so it would connect up to the stock Ford springlocks. It was only a two tube unit and was a little undersized for the task on hot days.

These units are actually shorter and thicker than the stock SC unit. About 9” shorter and ¼” thicker. They also have that extra row of tubes. The stock unit is all aluminum, but these are aluminum fins with copper tubes, brass fittings and steel header plates. They are compatible with both types of Freon. Each one is tested to 450 psi before leaving the factory.

New pricing (07/02/04) is $150 with a $25 shipping charge. I was able to pay over the phone by credit card. Turnaround time is about two days to make once they are paid. I ordered mine on a Monday and got it COD by Friday the same week. The units ship from Florida.

If you are interested in one of these, call Eric at 800.458.7561 and ask for stock number AF584-SP. Don’t forget the “SP” since the other part of the number is the stock condenser.

Packaged in shrink wrap for shipping:

con007.jpg

Compared to the stock unit:

More views:

Three row tube vs. two row tube:

Just placed an order - some updated info

I just called and placed an order for this item and thought the following would be of interest. Eric is no longer with the company as of about 3 months ago. Gentlemen who answered was completely aware of what I wanted and referes to this item as the "short one for the club". I was a little bit concerned when placing the order becouse he did not use the part number referenced above. He used A1010-SP with the notation (Short - Club) next to it. However, he knew I had a thunderbird before I even told him. He assured me I would get what I wanted. Price is still 150 + 25 shipping. He said this item was very popular and they do quite a few of them. In my opinion, this seems to be money well spent ... almost a no brainer if you are getting a double IC.

I just called and placed my order. The secretary seemed kind of clueless when I asked that I wanted to place an order, asking what company I was with. I guess they don't do private orders. But they transfered me to someone (should have gotten his name), and I told him I wanted to place an order. He asked who I was with, and I said that I was with the SCCoA and we place a lot of orders for the shortened condensors. He then came right back at me and was like "oh, for the t-birds.. yea we get a lot of those."

So basically if you're going to place an order, tell them you're with the SCCoA and you want to get the shortened condensor. They'll know exactly what you're talking about.

Oh, and I guess the price dropped. He said it was $125 + $25 shipping.

short condenser

Is there an new 'phone # for AirCon? I called the listed number (1-800.458.7561) and the operator told me that it had been disconnected and that no further info. was available.

This is the only other contact info I have found:

Aircon
3290 Overland Rd
Apopka, FL 32703

(407) 292-7557

http://aircon-condensers.com/

Site currently seems to be down. Please let me know if you find out any more information on this.

Attached is a drawing I got from John Shelton who originally had these made. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing it.

Any maker of automtive condenser units should be able to make one of these. The fittings are stock, unit is just shorter. Aircon also went with 3 coils instead of 2 to make up for the length. The 2.25" is the actual thickness. Units were brass instead of aluminum.

Attachments

• Aircon condenser details.JPG
    Aircon condenser details.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,219
Short A/C Condensors

gldiii said:
Attached is a drawing I got from John Shelton who originally had these made. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing it.

Any maker of automtive condenser units should be able to make one of these. The fittings are stock, unit is just shorter. Aircon also went with 3 coils instead of 2 to make up for the length. The 2.25" is the actual thickness. Units were brass instead of aluminum.

I have a company who has made one for me. If fit and finish is good I'll be offering them here.:cool: :D

Back