5 Speed Transmission Problem

Robinson

I was out driving today, kind of in a hurry with my 89. I got shifted into 2nd at a low RPM, then went about 3/4 throttle all the way to redline, did a quick shift to 3rd and let off. I stopped at a stop sign almost right after and noticed a grinding noise while idling in neutral. Put the car into first with the clutch in and the noise got alot worse. I went ahead really slow and the noise got god awfully loud. I tried shifting into all the gears to see if it would stop and it would stay there no matter what, getting louder with RPM regardless of what gear it was in. Luckily I was only a couple blocks from home and managed to gimp it back without a problem.

Any ideas what could be going on? I just put in a ripper shifter two days ago and have only had the car for a couple weeks. Right now it will idle without grinding, but as soon as I put it in any gear and attempt to move either forward or back it grinds. It sounds almost the same as the grinding noise youd get if you missed a hard 2-3 shift and had the transmission like half engaged at high throttle.

Any ideas?

Sounds like you may have lost a bearing in the tranny. Might want to drain the tranny fluid, see how much was in there and if you have metal chips in the oil. Also there has been at least two versions of the Ripper Shifter. Did you get the one with adjustable stops or the one that is "preset" at the factory?

Back