Thread: My 1st SC

My 1st SC

Hey everyone,
    I am the proud owner of my first SC. I've only had the car since Friday and so far Im enjoying it very much. That being said the car has a few minor issues I have no clue how to fix. First of all my shifter is extremely loose. It has approximately 2" of play in it while the car is in gear. I've checked the two bolts that secure the two parts of the shifter and they are fine. I dont know what else to check. Also, my tach and speedo frequently quit working. The speedo will ususally got up to somewhere aroung 55 and stop. Then it sticks there even when I stop. The tach will occasionally not move when I start the car. When this happens sometimes I am able to rev the engine and the tach will jump into action. Also my cruise and power mirrors do not work. I checked all the fuses and wiring connections I knew to check but to no avail. Fixing the tach, mirrors, and crusie are not a big concern right away. However I do want to get the speedo fixed ASAP. Im sure you all know how tempting it is to hit the gas and Id like to know how fast Im going so I dont get too carried away. I had a 95 Taurus SHO and sold it due to 3 speeding tickets in less than 6 months. Plus quite honestly the trans in that car was pretty crappy. Anyway, sorry for the book but any insight from fellow SC owners would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
    Nick

I would suggest running a search in the tech forum or posting this on there. Your shifter needs to be rebuilt, but not sure about your tach.

1 BAD BYRD,

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but a friend of mine about a year ago had a problem with his tach sticking and sometimes not working, and then every once in a while it would jump back into action. As it turned out, the tach wire from his DIS (distributorless ignition system) was bad. He replaced the DIS and that took care of the problem. DIS' are easy to replace and you could do it in about 10 minutes. You'd have to find one though. Again, not sure if that's your problem or not, and this doesn't apply to the cruise and mirrors, but it may be worth a try. If you are looking for a DIS, I'd suggest posting something on here in the wanted to buy forum. Also I believe I saw one on Ebay earlier today. Search for "thunderbird sc". Just a thought,

Matt

Go to Autozone and get one, they have a lifetime warranty, or you can go to autozone.com and look it up and order it there, it will be under ignition module.

DIS module

you can get the DIS module from NAPA, the part number is TP502 for 89 and 90, in 91 or 92 the number changed, you didn't say what year your car is

Thanks everyone,
    I will definately look into the DIS as a possible problem. Also, given the fact that other parts of the cluster do not work a coworker of mine suggested replacing the instrument cluster. He stated the Ford had similar problems with their electronic clusters in the trucks of the early to mid 90's. He drives a 93 Ranger and said he had to replace his about 2 years ago due to similar problems. By the way, my car is a 92. Thanks again.
    Nick
    Last edited by 1BADBYRD; 03-17-2003 at 12:11 AM.